PDA

View Full Version : Eliwell ID 974 - Probe Type question!

NunoSoares
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi!

I'm installing a cold room equipment that will be controlled by a Eliwell ID974. In the manual, they say that I can connect either a PTC or NTC probe, but they don't specify, for exemple in the PTC, in what material should it be made of (PT , NI) nor the reference (100, 1000).

Can anyone help me with this?

Tks

richelli
02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
We just usually fit the probes which are supplied by Eliwell for use with their controller. The black eliwell probes are ptc and the grey ones ntc probes. If you get the eliwell ones you know it will give you an accurate reading rather than using another manufacturers and finding the reading is out of calibration.

bernard
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Also you can change probe type from controller.

B

chemi-cool
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
The type of sensor which the controller set to is written on top.

If you change the set up to a diferent probe, switch it off and on again.

PTC probes are 1kΩ and NTC is 10kΩ.

NunoSoares
02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
The type of sensor which the controller set to is written on top.

If you change the set up to a diferent probe, switch it off and on again.

PTC probes are 1kΩ and NTC is 10kΩ.

Platinum or nickel?

richelli : You can install any probe, it only as to have the same thermal coefficiente (depends of the material that the prob is made of) and the same reference (resistence for 0ºC (or 20ºC i'm not sure right now)). The problems is that they don't specify to make you buy their's :mad:

Brian_UK
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
There are some probe details on the Eliwell site, are they any help to you?

http://www.eliwell.it/search.aspx?search=ptc%20probe&page=1

richelli
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes I know you can use any probe if you have the correct values. But so not to cause confusion we just fit the eliwell ones then we know its pretty hastle free.

Peter_1
03-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Why search for others, they have the cheapest available on the market. You also can use Dixell or Carel probes if you anyhow want to mix brands.
On the new Eliwells, you can program the correct probe on the controller.
If you can choose, go for NTC, less prone to cable resistance and at Carel, you can buy perfect sealed types.

NunoSoares
03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Why search for others, they have the cheapest available on the market. You also can use Dixell or Carel probes if you anyhow want to mix brands.
On the new Eliwells, you can program the correct probe on the controller.
If you can choose, go for NTC, less prone to cable resistance and at Carel, you can buy perfect sealed types.

Believe me, they are not the cheapest available, in terms of probes ;)

NTC is less prone to cable resistance because it as a higher reference (10 kΩ), but the prone is very close to the control painel, so I prefere to use PTC (which I have in stock :p)

NunoSoares
03-11-2009, 09:49 AM
There are some probe details on the Eliwell site, are they any help to you?

Thank you Brian, based on that datasheets, I think I will have to buy the probe from Eliwell, since the element of the probes doesn't appear to be "standard" ...

Peter_1
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Believe me, they are not the cheapest available, in terms of probes ;)

7 € is for me very cheap;)

armyeng1
17-11-2010, 09:57 PM
If you go to Eliwell, website, they have the manual for this controller and it provides great detail on full operation and the such. I just installed NTC probes and they worked great. The blue wires go together in the non PB slot available and the brown go in the PB1 and PB2. If you get a negative temp reading, that means you have to switch the brown wires. Its hard to feed them into the freezer and keep track of which probe is which so you may not get it right the first time.

monkey spanners
17-11-2010, 10:11 PM
If you go to Eliwell, website, they have the manual for this controller and it provides great detail on full operation and the such. I just installed NTC probes and they worked great. The blue wires go together in the non PB slot available and the brown go in the PB1 and PB2. If you get a negative temp reading, that means you have to switch the brown wires. Its hard to feed them into the freezer and keep track of which probe is which so you may not get it right the first time.

I don't think it maters which way the probe wires go, i have never paid any attention to them, if the temps go the wrong way then you have the wrong type of probe for the controller settings PTC or NTC.