PDA

View Full Version : Amana SRD25S5W: compressor with intermittent cooling while running under full voltage

im_dragon
29-10-2009, 12:40 AM
My Amana SRD25S5W stopped cooling a couple of months ago. Armed with component specs, schematic and wiring diagram, I spent the last month trouble-shooting it on and off, with countless hours learning about refrigeration systems from the Internet. Here's what it comes down to:

The compressor windings resistance, and ground isolation all check out. The evap fan, condenser fan, overload ckt breaker, run capacitor, adaptive defrost control board, adaptive defrost, all work properly. The condenser is relatively clean. PTC relay is solid (doesn't rattle when shaked), looks new, and seems to work. It's barely warm when running with the compressor.

The compressor starts and runs fine, with or without the PTC relay connected (I removed the relay and use jumpers to bypass it). The compressor, rated at 1.6A underfull load, starts at 2-3A, then drops to 0.8A steady state. Frost starts to form on the evap coils at the entrance to the coils only. This could indicate low *****, but there's more ...

After 3-5 minutes, the frost melts while the compressor runs under full voltage (120VAC, I'm in the US), with the current drops to 0.5A. The fridge is confirmed not in defrost cycle, as the defrost heater is cold, and compressor is still running.

Occasionally and randomly, the frost starts to form again at the avp coils entrance for no reason (current increases to 0.8A), then melt again after a few minutes, with the compressor never stops running from the very beginning. 120VAC measured at the C terminal of the compresor (after the overload circuit breaker) at all time.

The PTC relay for some reason does not make any difference here. The resistance checks out OK (5.6 Ohms at room temp, specs is 3-12 Ohms). I test it on the bench with a 100W light bulb. The bulb does go off after a while, once the PTC relay is warm. The resistance increases whith high current passing through, and decreases during cool down when current is removed. So PTC relay seems to function OK.

The compressor runs cool to the touch with normal sound that I hear from those of other fridges, again, with or without the PTC relay. This is very strange because I thought the PTC relay is needed to start the compressor. In my case, the compressor starts and runs fine with just the 15uF run cap connecting between the start windings (compressor S terminal) and L2 (AC neutral).

What could be wrong here? Thank you very much.

im_dragon
29-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I just want to add that when I remove the run cap and leave the S terminal open, the compressor doesn't start as expected. Current draw under that condition is 12-15A though.

Brian_UK
29-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I just want to add that when I remove the run cap and leave the S terminal open, the compressor doesn't start as expected. Current draw under that condition is 12-15A though.So please don't do it; you'll hurt the compressor by burning out the windings.

Your problem seems to be possibly a shortage of refrigerant due to a leak somewhere or maybe a blocked capillary or filter restricted the refrigerant flow.

Do you know which refrigerant is used?

im_dragon
29-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Brian,

Thx for replying. The refrigerant is R134a.

As far as leak is concerned, I don't think there's any. It used to work perfectly one day, then behaved like this the next day. If there was any leak, there wouldn't be any frost on the evap coils by now. The cooling condition hasn't changed for two months.

What drove me crazy was the intermittent cooling, and the uselessness of the PTC relay. I know the compressor was not supposed to start without the relay, but it does. How can this be?

BTW, I only disconnected the start windings for less than one second to prove that the compressor did need that windings to start. Although it could start with just the run cap connected, and not with the PTC relay as it was supposed to.

Please note that the compressor runs unusually cool, drawing little current (0.5-0.8A steady state). The PTC relay resistance never gets hot enough to remove itself from the starting circuit. That's why when I turned off the compressor, then turned it back on, the compressor restarted immediately. Normally, it would have wait a few minutes for the PTC relay to cool down to be able to restart.

It seems the compressor is not running at full power (although 120V is applied), and not compressing the gas enough. I just don't know why.