PDA

View Full Version : retrofit 502 to 404a (hp-62) lots of fun

bernie
09-06-2001, 03:57 AM
Well i didnt get to go on my road trip to fix our
troublesome freezer some miles away today. Instead they gave me a selfcontained reachin freezer much closer to home to retrofit to 404-a from r-5o2. Ill spare you the boring details just to say that original charge was 22 Oz 502. I charged in 20 Oz to start. after 1 hour pulldown, measured -10 degrees farienhiet in box and our superheat was 8 degrees.
some say this is a little high but i couldnt bare to add any more liqid, it pulled down real nice. CAPTUBE SYSTEM
by the way. any similar experiences?

subzero*psia
22-06-2001, 03:24 AM
When retrofitting to a newer refrigerant I always figure the initial charge will be 70% of the original providing I haven't put in a liquid drier of different capacity... that is where I start and depending on what I had to do I may or may not need more refrigerant. Like you I get nervous adding "more" refrigerant... I would rather wait alittle longer or come back later and check the operation and superheats etc.

Whenever you change the drier from the OEM spec... read the capacity of the drier you are installing and it will tell you how to correct your charge.

bernie
22-06-2001, 03:43 AM
knock on wood i havent been called back!!