PDA

View Full Version : London Underground

Daddy Cool
15-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Right Gents,

Does anyone have any details or spec relating to Section 12 for the London Underground air conditioning systems.

i'm sure Section 12 runs into pages of rubbish, but if anyone has one or any info it would be a great help.

Thanks

rbartlett
15-11-2004, 09:13 PM
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/report/sqe/default.asp

cheers

richard

Daddy Cool
16-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your help. it's really nice to find a site that has people on it with more than just whinging to do.

Thanks Again.

terrie73
23-03-2005, 09:46 PM
the only unit that is section 12 spec at the momenent is Airedale

CSS12 / 18/24 /and 32 range

most other a/c units are slowly starting to be installed in non section 12 stations and locations

I think that they are using quench 11 at the mo

if it has not been revised (why not ask your manager)

Do you work on the Underground and for Who?

Dalkia (metronet) or Emcor (tubelines)

these two have the Service & maintenance on all a/c at the mo
Honeywell have just lost the maintenance contract For Tubelines formely (JNP) but they are still doing a lot of their projects

terrie73
23-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Section 12 is an ammendment to the fire regulations since the kings x fire

Daddy Cool
24-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Thans for your help. I don't work for either of the two companies mentioned, but have been working along side both of them. both are unable to provide me with a copy of the section 12 specification, but insist any units must conform?! they are both looking to have an alternative to airedale, but without the spec i can't do much for them. Any ideas?

terrie73
25-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Strange they can't provide such a simple thing as the specas its something that forms part of the undergrounds works i find it hard to believe,normally part of a document(quench 11) that all main and subcontractors work to neverless i will try ( I cant Promise) to get hold of something for you.

But the main problem is that it could take 6 months to a year to get anything approved (by the underground) anything will go through a long process of:

All metal casing (at least an hours fire rating )

Low smoke wiring

Fully enclosed fan motors

minimal plastic (parts)

IE: pumps ,connections

I will try to do my best in getting some info .

For some reason all airedale splits have electric heating,(except the cooling only type which are good in the sense that they only have an on/oof button on the front you need to take the cover of to get to the stat, I have never fully understood why they haven't used heatpumps. as every year ive had to run round with an ADT or Siemens switching on the elements as they set of smokeheads and send the station into evacuation on fire panel .I've only have seen a handfull of airedale heatpumps on the undergound not many left now.

Daddy Cool
31-03-2005, 04:57 PM
As far as the spec's go, i'm not really surprised they can't lay their hands on them. It's nothing but red tape, all too simple for them to give you a well thumbed spec to look at. Patience is a virtue with this sort of rubbish, i submit a proposal, they say it doesn't meet spec, i say what spec? they say the one you have not seen, but need to comply with, and so the chase goes on!

If you can find anything, it would help greatly. i can wait for approvals from the underground boys, but need to start the ball rolling somewhere.

What i find most annoying is that they asked me for a proposal to break the strangle hold, not the other way around.

terrie73
31-03-2005, 05:36 PM
ive heard that toshiba have been shortlisted to come up with something and i am starting the ball rolling with liebert hiross units