PDA

View Full Version : Shop fridge not chilling - please help :(

christiffa
22-10-2009, 09:02 AM
HIya, we have a single door pepsi fridge in our shop. We bought it second hand a few months ago.

It is on all day every day, and often the door gleft slightly ajar as it dont shut proply unless you actually push it shut, whiso when people are in and out of it all day its sometimes left open for a bit.

Anyway, normally its makes a quiet humming noise and will then suddenly go louder for a few minutes i assume this is when its chilling, but yesterday when it was about to get louder it came on and then made a funny noise. Since then it just makes the quite humming noise, but we can hear it trying to come on and chill itself but itslike something is stopping it.

After reading some posts about letting it defrost, I turned it off last night and went home.

I came back this morning, switched it on and its still doing the same thing. I realise that I havent left it off that long, am i just being too impatient or do you think that there is something else wrong with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

christiffa
22-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Just an update.

I have turned the fridge right down to number 1, it wont turn to the 0... When we had it on number 2 it would click as if it was going to come on and start cooling, but it just clicked and went straight back off, as if something was stopping it.

I called several people today and i've been told several things, one said it was the gas, one said it was the fan and another said it was the compressor. From what i've researched, it sounds more like the compressor.

I have someone coming out to look at it tomorrow so we'll see what they say, however any advice would still be appreciated...

monkey spanners
22-10-2009, 05:17 PM
If it goes 'hum click' and is then quiet for a while then does it again most likely is the compressor or its start relay and or capacitor.
If this is the case i'd try a new relay and capacitor and it it is still doing it then the compressor has siezed up.

Clk320_Greg
22-10-2009, 07:52 PM
IIRC all pepsi and coke fridges are owned for there life by the respective companies. If they know you have one and you get your stock from them they often repair them for free in return for your custom!

Magoo
22-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree with Clk320Greg.
shame that you purchased second hand, as Pepsi would have given you one free of charge and serviced it regularly. Ring Pepsi anyway, they will be keen to know who sold it to you.

taz24
23-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I might be wrong here ( I often am) but in the UK the fridge becomes the property of the shop keeper after a period of time and they are free to sell them on if they want.

The fault does sound like a comp problem but no one can tell you realy untill they look at it in person.

Cheers
taz.

Clk320_Greg
23-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I might be wrong here ( I often am) but in the UK the fridge becomes the property of the shop keeper after a period of time and they are free to sell them on if they want.

The fault does sound like a comp problem but no one can tell you realy untill they look at it in person.

Cheers
taz.

Not the case from my experiance, you ever list a Pepsi / Coke fridge on ebay of any age and you see how quick the coke/pepsi leagle people get in touch to get it back....