PDA

View Full Version : Armaflex cracking a bit ~ Paint it?

Makeit go Right
20-10-2009, 03:33 PM
One of our customers has some armaflex on external runs (about 45m total), which is starting to crack from UV/sunlight. The first thought from our engineer was to paint it with two coats of Armaflex paint to preserve it/protect it from getting worse.

Has anyone done this and recommend it as a good way to go?

Presumably, it would stop further UV/sunlight damage but I was wondering how long it would last before another application would be needed.

The better alternative might be just to do it properly with HT-Armaflex, which is better against the elements, yes?

Clk320_Greg
20-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Cant remember xactly but im sure last time i went to the wholesaler they had some big promo about the lastst developmnt in armourflex being a new foam that was resistant to all weather and also had some sort of anti bac property that ment it wouldnt turn green/brown

hookster
20-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I have tried the painting route and the armaflex paint is messy expensive and difficult to apply.
I would recommend a PIB covering which is bonded with white spirits.
You can get it in different colours too!!

Brian_UK
20-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I'll go along with Hookster's idea, PIB covering will do the trick.

Product link here...

http://www.cmsacoustics.co.uk/ind-acoustics/PIB_Sheeting.htm

chemi-cool
21-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Any exterior plastic[water] based paint will protect it.

I do it for the past 20 years.

nike123
21-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I usually wrap it with aluminum self-adhesive tape.

AUcooler
21-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Using a light gauge sheet metal(colourbond) capping is not that uncommon either. You can get in folded to size from any sheet metal workshop in various colours.

rude
22-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Id paint it, its quick, cheap and easy. Also lasts quite a long time.

Makeit go Right
22-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi, Rude. When you do it, any experiences on how long it lasts before another application would be needed? ie does it need re-painting after 3-4 years, or last longer/less than that?

rude
24-10-2009, 04:51 AM
It depends how much sun/rain it gets but generally about 5 years. We use aerocoat which is made to be put onto aeroflex and dont have many problems with it.

http://www.aeroflexusa.com/products/aerocoat/

R1976
01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Armaflex is supposed to be painted as soon as you install it outside or UV light damages it.

I seem to be the only contractor in the UK who paints AC pipes:cool:.

We have a customer whose lagging was deteriating so we painted it last year. I was on site the other day and the paint has preserved it.

I would paint it, it will be cheap and realistic for the customer.

D.D.KORANNE
05-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I wish to use hoses/ braided flexible pipes for pr gages & controls . Refrigerant is r-404a / r-407c .

What should be the material of construction for these pipes as the non-cfc refrigerants react with hoses & at times hoses leak out & noted to be bulging .

Makeit go Right
09-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the tips and ideas.

We painted it. We had the order and it was not easy to go back to re-sell them on the more expensive job of replacing it all with the HT-Armaflex, or maybe PIB etc.

I do not know how long the HT product has been around but it seems stupid to install the internal spec material on external pipework, especially where it is exposed to lots of sunlight/UV and needs painting immediately or within 2-3 years -- it's not fit for the purpose in that case. Now the HT-Armaflex is on the market, we all should install that on external pipework when the system goes in, rather than use the 'internal' stuff.

Having said that, I tried many distributors/suppliers for the HT-Armaflex (in case we could possibly re-lag for a similar price) but they do not stock it - just the internal stuff. They could get it in for me, though. If I wanted some, I would need to special-order it by the box (150m-odd each box…times the 3-4 different pipe sizes too! Mega). That seems to be the main force behind any misuse of internal Armaflex on external pipework. On a 15m split run, you’d have to buy two 150m boxes of the stuff.

However, after many phone calls and internet searching, I did eventually find one supplier who sold it by the 2m length, at just a few pennies more than the internal...........not so much more expensive that an installer could honestly say it was too expensive to install, especially if you have to paint the internal stuff to use it externally.

Getting back to this paint job, the insulation was 2-3 years old and was showing small cracks in the surface. Not just the pipework facing the sunlight but also a shaded elevation where the sun don’t shine. Odd that it was suffering the same fate as the lagging in the sunlight. Anyway, after releasing most of the cable-ties, the paint went on well (applied thickly). Applied 2-coats, though some got an extra 3rd helping, to be sure to be sure; then re-fixed cable-ties. It looked like it was worth doing, and will probably prolong the life of that insulation for a few extra years.

Prince Vaillant
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Its UV that breaks down the cell structure of standard Armaflex. Painting will give some form of protection but for the best solution HT Armaflex is the way to go. It has been manufactured with the solar energy market in mind and is therefore able to withstand much higher temperatures and it is UV resistant. The anti fungus type ingredient in Armaflex is Microban.

http://www.pipelagging.com/high-temperature-outdoor-solar-pipe-insulation-c-55.html

still learning
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
i have found armafex paint to be quite good , another thing that we have tried and works is green house shadding, a fine plastic mesh, keeps the birds off as well, mind you they dont seem to like painted lagging