PDA

View Full Version : centralized cooling system sequence start up!

schiZ0prEni
20-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Dear All,

I just graduated as a mechanical engineering student and currently been working as a facility engineer which i've to cover all the systems in the building i.e hospital and commercial building in term of their maintenance,services,analysis as well as energy management.

my question is, in central cooling system which has chiller,pumps,ahu,colling tower,heat exchanger etc.,which of the component should be turned ON first in order to minimize the electricity and maximum demand?there should be a sequence of series or order so that the consumption of energy can be minimized.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers!

Brian_UK
20-10-2009, 07:46 PM
My question is, in central cooling system which has chiller,pumps,ahu,colling tower,heat exchanger etc.,which of the component should be turned ON first in order to minimize the electricity and maximum demand?there should be a sequence of series or order so that the consumption of energy can be minimized.

Not sure about maximum demand etc but unless certain items are running then the system will not run.

The chiller must not be run without the pumps, frozen chilled water heat exchangers with result. A liquid flow sensing switch should monitor this.

The condenser water pump must also be running or the compressor will overheat and the chiller shutdown or receive damage. Once again a flow switch should be present.

Likewise the cooling tower must be operating or the chiller will overheat.

Not sure about switching on a heat exchanger they are normally part of the chiller. If you have secondary systems then yes they need to be powered up.

Likewise the AHU will need the chiller running if it is providing cooling or dehumidification.

SO, my order of powering up would be...
1, Cooling tower
2, Pumps, chilled water, condenser water, secondary circuits.
3, Heat exchangers
4, Chiller
5, AHUs

schiZ0prEni
20-10-2009, 08:33 PM
thanks brian!

but i think we can turn on the AHU first before the chiller,can we?
any side effect or problem with that?

Brian_UK
20-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes of course you can, the AHU is not crictical to the chiller whereas the other items are.

Think of the most expensive item of plant and protect that at all costs. :)