PDA

View Full Version : York J Series Compressor

iceman007
20-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Is there a likely cause that would cause vibration/resonance with one of these compressors on a chiller ? The original compressor was replaced with a reconditioned one, this is when the vibration started, so that was taken out and the original compressor was re-built and re-fitted and now this one is vibrating as well (similar to a propellor sound). Is this common with these compressors because I have never had this happen before

Thanks

Grizzly
20-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Yo Iceman.
I have worked on lots of these and yours is a very unusual problem.
Would the vibration be as of a internal in-balance.
Or from a resonance cased by fluctuating gas flow?
Can you give any more info?
Normally as these wear all that increases is the rattling!
I am guessing this is not actually being caused by the Compressor.
But I will await your reply.
Cheers Grizzly

iceman007
20-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Grizzly the thing that sort of gives it slightly away is that the problem was never there until a recon compressor was put in. The rebuilders took it out because of the noise and then rebuilt the original and then re fitted that. The problem was still there. Apparently it goes all through the building and the only way to explain the noise is like an aeroplane propellor. So I thought it must be an out of balance shaft or something. There was talk of putting in baffles. I thought about a discharge muffler, but they are all scratching their heads over it. As the ex-York guy I'm under a bit of pressure with this one. I have never seen this happen before ?

al
20-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Iceman

Is there any chance it's one of the impellers on the condenser fans come loose? those nuts that hold them on can slacken off, what model chiller is it?

Al

iceman007
20-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Iceman

Is there any chance it's one of the impellers on the condenser fans come loose? those nuts that hold them on can slacken off, what model chiller is it?

Al

It wouldn't be that problem. It's water cooled. I think it's a LTHD (quite an old machine)

Tesla
20-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I had a simmilar prob on a HR Chiller because someone removed one of the four mufflers - It sent vibrations through the building and dammaged mechboard components. And just check if air cooled that the condenser tubes (too many) have been blanked off due to leaks.

Grizzly
21-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Grizzly the thing that sort of gives it slightly away is that the problem was never there until a reckon compressor was put in. The re builders took it out because of the noise and then rebuilt the original and then re fitted that. The problem was still there. Apparently it goes all through the building and the only way to explain the noise is like an aeroplane propellor. So I thought it must be an out of balance shaft or something. There was talk of putting in baffles. I thought about a discharge muffler, but they are all scratching their heads over it. As the ex-York guy I'm under a bit of pressure with this one. I have never seen this happen before ?

Reading your explanation I can understand why you
would assume it is comp related.
Maybe they have used the wrong style valves,plates or springs?
Did they Change the motor as well?
What is common to both installs?
Sorry I assume you have asked all these question and like you I am a bit stumped.
Someone is going to allow a strip-down!
I assume that the rebuild guys have not modified anything?
Good Luck and keep us informed.
Grizzly

RANGER1
21-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Probably not related but you never know as don't even know what type / style comp is .

Heard of a lot of vibration in a machine due to hold down bolts being tight but had bottomed out on threads , so not really tight !

Can only suggest feel around for movement / vibration on compressor feet .

Are they belt or direct drive ?

Grizzly
21-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Back again.
Just a thought Was this droning at initial start-up.
Or has the comp been running sometime?
I ask because on initial start-up after a rebuild.
A droning does emit from the discharge lines.
Usually only for as long as it takes for the valve plates to bed in.
I hope this helps?
Grizzly

GHAZ
21-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi was the original compressor a motor burn or mechanical failure, i ask this because some times during motor burn ,the rotor gets so hot that its internal aliminium bars get damaged and when replaced back in the compressor it vibrates and is very noisey, especially when loaded.

WINJA
26-10-2009, 07:33 AM
g'day , we had one of these j series compressors rebuilt for what sounded like a terminal noise when loading up , after rebuild it still made a hell of a noise , I found that it was the baffle on the top of the water cooled condensor , that is inside the condensor and the discharge gas hits it and when it loads it gets more noisy , i took off the discharge pipe and bashed the top of the baffle thru the dicharge entry hole going into the condensor , it made the same sound . if you do this same test and find its the baffle then get back to me on a quick simple and permanent (5 years and counting) repair , also you can sometimes isolate the sound with a decibel meter