PDA

View Full Version : Airedale Cus5

al
18-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Having a problem with some of these condensing units, air off seems to be exiting horizontally rather than vertically, looking at fitting fan assembly from another model...

Has anyone experienced this, if so any advice?

units are located in same compound and are recircing air onto each other.

al

superswill
18-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Ive had a few fan speed controller go on these thats about it

could it be possible to fit a cowl to force air up wards?

glenn1340
18-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Just an idea here, might be complete b******s but could the fans be running the wron way.

Pingo
18-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Having a problem with some of these condensing units, air off seems to be exiting horizontally rather than vertically, looking at fitting fan assembly from another model...

Has anyone experienced this, if so any advice?

units are located in same compound and are recircing air onto each other.

al
Always the same with Airedale Cus.
When the fan is in control (holding the discharge pressure at the correct setting ) the fan air discharge is vertical.

When the fan motor is at its maximum speed you will find that the condenser air discharge is thrown to the side of the Cu and you get the hot air recirculating onto the condenser face.

Many times i have had to make up baffle plates between Cu's to stop this recirce happening.
On one of the jobs we fabricated 1ft high circular plates which bolted around the condenser fan frame using the fan bolts to hold them in place.
This did stop the air being blown sideways from the unit.
but it does cause some pressure on the fan, you still fail to get the air to flow up vertical.

On the older Cu units when there used to be a separate motor and a metal blade, Airedale could supply different fan blades which were for high ambient conditions.
I do not know if this is possible with there newer design of condenser fan.

Best of luck

Bob

al
19-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Lads

thanks for the fast responses, i did notice that a larger capacity unit didn't have this problem and i'm wondering if i could retrofit these fans instead?

I think it was a cus10, are the condenser fans the same diameter across the range?

thanks again guys

al

al
19-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Glenn

they are single phase fans all running correct, thanks for asking though:D

al

Fixaman
19-10-2009, 08:30 PM
try cleaning the condenser (if it only happens at high fan speed)

al
19-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Fixaman

Condensers are fairly clean

al

TRASH101
20-10-2009, 09:30 AM
The problem you are having is universal with that specific fan configuration i.e. a plate fan on a flat surface. The effect of the air "deflecting" out the sides is greatly influenced by rpm. Normally the short cycling air doesn't impede the performance but if it is then perhaps a short length of circular duct or spigot will cure what ails thee.

al
20-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Trash

I think that's the answer!!

Thanks everyone

Al

hyperion
20-10-2009, 12:28 PM
The short section of air discharge ducting should be kept to about 300mm in height and for ease of construction it can be a simple cylinder in shape or can be an outwards funnel shape if you wish to get a little more complicated.

Fixaman
20-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Just clean the condenser and it will work correctly

muzzo7
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Had this problem many times in the past, give the condensers a damn good clean, they may look ok on the outside but will be restricted internally.

moondawn
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
whats the best way to clean these condensors coils?

i usually use a solution called enviro coil mixed with water and spray it on to the coil by use of a small garden hozelock pump, i find that using this gets some of the dirt off the coil but i am sure there must be a better way of cleaning the coil more thouroghly.

i have once used a pressure washer on the coils and that was really good however when the units are on a roof or access is limited that could be tricky.

whats so you guys do?

Also anyone hve any details on these condensors like wiring diagrams and refrigerant charge?

cheers lee