PDA

View Full Version : Oil Migrates when Chiller is OFF!

Juan BH
15-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi-

I'm new on the site, but it looks like a great resouce and to be honest I'm still pretty green in the commercial area.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced an oil migration problem like this: Carrier 19XR centrifugal 1500 ton R-134a machine loses oil gradually when it is shut down over the winter.

This past spring I had to add about 10 gallons of POE then remove it all after the stuff that migrated came back. Now that the cold is here, I am seeing the same thing happen. The chiller hasn't run for a couple of weeks now and the oil level in the sump has dropped below the lower sight glass.

We have a 30 minute "flush" through the condenser barrel every night to keep solids in suspension, but other than that the machine is completely idle. Any thoughts?

Shibhrac
15-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Check the crankcase heater it might not function.

coolhibby1875
15-10-2009, 05:49 PM
you need to shut all valves in on the compressor body when not using for a long time as when its cold outside where the unit is liquid tends to migrate to the coldest point and if thats outside where your unit is it will lift the oil.

iceman2306
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
is th emachine turned off when not in use and shut down for the winter time,
if the machine oil pump is left on and the oip pump runs through its stir cycle after a period of time it is possible for the oil to leak through the labby.

Toosh
10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi-

I'm new on the site, but it looks like a great resouce and to be honest I'm still pretty green in the commercial area.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced an oil migration problem like this: Carrier 19XR centrifugal 1500 ton R-134a machine loses oil gradually when it is shut down over the winter.

This past spring I had to add about 10 gallons of POE then remove it all after the stuff that migrated came back. Now that the cold is here, I am seeing the same thing happen. The chiller hasn't run for a couple of weeks now and the oil level in the sump has dropped below the lower sight glass.

We have a 30 minute "flush" through the condenser barrel every night to keep solids in suspension, but other than that the machine is completely idle. Any thoughts?

Hi Do you drain the the cooling tower and do you leave the oil heater on?

Toosh

Juan BH
24-06-2010, 01:25 AM
What is the labby?