PDA

View Full Version : Oil contamination from compressor during transport

keepmecool
14-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi

I was hoping to test the theory with the forum whether or not there is any substance to the theory that if transported incorrectly, a domestic fridge system may become contaminated with oil that is in the compressor. More specifically, is there a correct side to lie a fridge down on for transporting and could the oil in the compressor get into the discharge tube and then that oil cause the drier to be oil-contaminated?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Michael

frank
14-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Michael

The oil moving around the sealed system is not a problem.

The problem with a domestic fridge or freezer when laying it down for transporting is that the internal parts of the compressor can get damaged beyond repair.

The internal motor is suspended on springs and the discharge pipe internally is very fragile, so, when you lay it down, the motor can be dislodged from the springs or the discharge pipe can fracture.

As the compressor is hermetically sealed, you cannot get access to repair them.

The sign on the manufacturers packaging that says 'Keep Upright' is there for a reason. :)

Tesla
14-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi
I did have one upright CRAC unit delivered on the wrong side to site. The result was the comp tripped on HP. I had to remove most refrigerant to clear the hydrolic oil lock which blocked the discharge line. I put the gas back in and it ran well then my boss shouted me a well earnt coffee.

lowcool
14-10-2009, 11:28 PM
keeping it upright will also keep oil out of the cylinder,thus no tripping overload and you can restart any time without having to wait for oil to migrate.

keepmecool
14-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Frank and Tesla

Thanks for the reply.

I saw an old compressor cut open today. I saw the fragile springs that suspend the motor and I thought also best to keep upright so as not to damage the springs.

But theinteresting thing about this is that the compressor manufacturer's technical sheet refers to the units being OK to be transported on the side (upright is best, but sometimes to maximise transport of many units they can be laid flat on side - usually the left or right hand side and not door down and not condenser side down).

In fact our boxes have a sign on the side of the box that says when they are laid down which side must be facing up (in our case, the left side of the fridge as viewed from the front is the side that is faced up in transport). We have some oil contamination in the driers - hence my post.

On the compressor I had open, to me there seemed a slight chance of the oil getting into the discharge line . this was an old compressor. i think there is a chance that the oil can go from the 'sump' inside the compressor, via the inlet to the piston, through the piston chamber and then out of the HP side of the piston into the discharge line. this is just a theory. Frank - you talk about a 'sealed' system. the old compressor I was looking at is sealed to the outside world, but internally is not in as far as there must be a gas intake and outlet inside (please correct me where I go wrong with my assumptions).

Any further comments much appreciated.

keepmecool
14-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Lowcool. Which cylinder do you refer to?

Michael

lowcool
15-10-2009, 02:43 AM
gday keepmecool.was just refering to the compressor cylinder.

lowcool
15-10-2009, 02:46 AM
oops the reply disappeared.
gday keepmecool i was only refering to the compressor cylinder.
cheers