PDA

View Full Version : Carrier 30HXA Oil draining

iceman007
13-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know the best method to drain all of the oil from a Carrier 30HXA screw chiller (remote condenser)
I have looked though all my tech literature and found nothing much at all. It has an oil separator on the bottom (instead of the condenser found on the HXC model) but no drain port, just a relief valve. I suspect it might be a case of pumping down the machine, but I have no idea how to remove the oil charge from the separator. The compressorw and cooler will need to have their oil taken out as well

fintan
13-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Are you sure that there is no drain valve? On the air-cooled models, the drain valve is at the bottom of the oil separator.

iceman007
13-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Are you sure that there is no drain valve? On the air-cooled models, the drain valve is at the bottom of the oil separator.

Yes I know If it was a 30GX it would be easy

fintan
14-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the new type screws, the 30XA models. You must be refering to the 30HXC which has the 30GX as the aircooled model.
On a 30HXC, the oil separator is part of the condenser, is there a drain valve below the oil level switch?

Sent a manual to your gmail

iceman007
14-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the new type screws, the 30XA models. You must be refering to the 30HXC which has the 30GX as the aircooled model.
On a 30HXC, the oil separator is part of the condenser, is there a drain valve below the oil level switch?

Sent a manual to your gmail

The 30XA is the newer air cooled screw with the 06T compressor. The 30HXC is the water cooled screw with the 06N compressor (the separator is part of the condenser shell) The 30GX is the older air cooled screw with the 06N(air cooled equivalent of the 30HXC) The 30HXA is the condenserless screw with the 06N compressor (remote condenser installed seperately) There is a large separator on these machines (looks like the 30HXC condenser) but I have only come across one or two of them. Apparently they don't have a oil drain on the separator, so I am guessing I will have to run at full load for a while, then partially pump down, valve off and drain the oil from the port near the external filter etc etc. I have to say (ashamed) that I used to work for Carrier so ought to know. I don't have a gmail do I ??