Temperature 65 Celcius
Located in Holding Tank
Quantity 5 Tonnes in weight

Cooling requirement
To cool product down to 5 Celcius

What chiller will I require?

Peter_1
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
(65 -5) x 5000 x 0,4 x 1.16 = 174.000 W or 174 kW if you want to it in 1 hour. This is pure theoretically, so I should add something for losses. So take 200 kW.
Or +/- 20 kW for a 10 hours cooldown Abe. Will be then a +/- 10 HP.

Abe
09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Thx Peter

Greatly appreciated

Magoo
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Consider a double section plate heat exchanger and the first stage use water and a cooling tower to drop oil temp to wet buld range and then second part of HX use chilled water down to design, this will reduce power consumption and require a smaller chiller.
magoo

Sandro Baptista
10-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Consider a double section plate heat exchanger and the first stage use water and a cooling tower to drop oil temp to wet buld range and then second part of HX use chilled water down to design, this will reduce power consumption and require a smaller chiller.
magoo

I totally agree with you Magoo.

Magoo
10-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi again Abe,
if the cooking oil is exposed to food product, then it is quite likely to be saturated with crumb and the like, so make sure you include very good filtration and parallel filtering systems to protect HX from blockages.
Alfa Laval do alot of similar applications with dairy industry, but with out the sediment content.
WTT is another supplier, part of the GEA conglomeret bunch of companies.
With first stage water cooling, you could think of specifying a closed circuit/ dry cooler type circuit to reduce any cross contamination with plate seal failure potential. The restackable/ serviceable dual circuit HX's would be preferable.

magoo

mad fridgie
10-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Because this is only a small holding tank I would suggest, it is manufactured with dimple plates, and an agitator. very simple and fool proof.
depending upon your daily load profile and how it is batched, you can determine how many dimple plates circuit you require.
Example One set water, One set refrigerant,
Or one set water, second water from ice builder