PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding of refrigeration piping

geraray
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Hello PPL

Can anyone tell me if there are any colour coding for the suction and discharge lines when plotting a drawing. Please help as refrigeration is not quite really my lin of trade?

Tks,
Ray :)

littleyapper
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
not sure if there is a standard but red for high side blue for lowside would be understood by most ...

nike123
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Electrical Colours:
• Red for active
• Blue for neutral
• Green for earth
• Black for components

Refrigeration Colours:
• Red for discharge
• Blue for suction
• Green for liquid
• Black for water pipe and components.

geraray
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
thanks nike, sorry for the dumb question, but like I said I'm not into refrigeration.

nike123
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
thanks nike, sorry for the dumb question, but like I said I'm not into refrigeration.

I did not say that question is dumb.
That is part of my signature and it still saying that there is no dumb questions.;)

geraray
09-10-2009, 11:06 PM
lol ok thanks again for the colour coding

jcook1982
17-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Electrical Colours:
• Red for active
• Blue for neutral
• Green for earth
• Black for components

Refrigeration Colours:
• Red for discharge
• Blue for suction
• Green for liquid
• Black for water pipe and components.

This is awsome to know. Is there not a color for gas??:o

B G Scott
17-10-2009, 05:32 PM
This is awsome to know. Is there not a color for gas??:o
If as you are in the states you mean, Gas used for heating cooking etc and not the stuff you run your car on then in the UK it is Yellow

coil kid
17-10-2009, 08:42 PM
The ASME might have the best answer in their piping code sections

sterl
23-10-2009, 03:42 AM
On Drawings: For R-717 there is a whole list of standard pipe colors and label captions which incorporate those colors in the IIAR bulletins. I believe bulletin 114. We uuse same coloring on our P & ID's leaves the construction boys with less excuse to mess up colors when they are painting bare pipe.

Simple block flow diagrams for halocarbon refrigetion circuits often employ colors per NIKE but mostly you open the side of the unit and everyhing is one of: Black with Insulation; Balck with Paint; oro bare copper...

ANSI 13 supports pipe colors similarly...

Only alternate I know of for drawings comes from ISA and the API. And most of it dates back to 4-pen plotters.