PDA

View Full Version : C&G 2078 invalid as an interim qualification?

Tony
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi folks,

are you aware of this? Take a look. :eek:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/44538.html

Argus
09-10-2009, 09:17 AM

I think that was always the case, Tony, but the dates were subject to widespread misunderstanding.

C&G 2078 and its CITB equivalent was accepted as an interim qualification for three years after the mandatory introduction dates of the new quals in the F gas Regulation, principally as the UK government underestimated the size of the task of introducing an a new set of quals and certifying everybody in the time allotted in the F Gas regulations themselves.

DEFRA and DTI ( DTI is now known as BERR) had a joint approach to introducing the UK version of the EU harmonised qualifications, but due to numerous delays it was implemented at the last moment, late even - too late for much of the industry to gear up for the new qualifications until they knew what they had to gear up to.

I seem to remember a bit of a rush in some quarters to get engineers qualified to the 'old' set before March 2009, as it was seen as an easier option to taking the new full set of questions and practical and a delay of execution for three years, as it were.

multisync
09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
No one care about this stuff. I know of many many companies not registered, engineers without safe handling let alone 2078 and nothing is done by either them, the suppliers, their customers or DEFRA.

Voyager
09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
How stupid is that !

What difference does the date make? I took 2078 last year, and if I took it next month the course would be the same - same practical / theory / everything.

This is just politicians & (un)civil servants doing anything they can to justify their ridiculous salaries.

Tony
15-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I think that was always the case, Tony, but the dates were subject to widespread misunderstanding.

Thanks Argus,

What is worrying is that our City & Guilds external verifier was not aware of the dates situation.

And on top of that there are training centres out there who are still offering 2078 as an option.

El Padre
15-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I had no idea, a mate of mine has just returned from Australia, I advised him to do the 2079, but he took the advice of a local college and has just spent £600 for an invalid certificate, not sure if I should tell him or not.
If the colleges and training centres are not up to speed, what chance is there that the people just getting in to the trade or returning have got of getting it right.

Cheers

Argus
15-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Here is an information sheet from the UK Government's F-GAS SUPPORT web site.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/air/fgas/documents/fgassupport-rac5.pdf

It explains all that you need to know on the subject of company and personnel competence and registration under the UK F Gas laws.

The issue of interim certifiction is explained from page 4 onwards.

tonyh
27-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I would hope all those engineers that has taken the 2078 exam and passed in goodwill after 9th march will be given a full refund with exspenses, as this should have been pointed out prior to exam registration.

Testech
27-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Like MULTISYNC said, who cares !.

I have just finished working for a guy who has every handling certificate going..Gas being vented off everyday...over 50kgs let off overnight out of a Mc Quay Chiller, the list is endless..Certificates mean Jack in this trade..
Take the food industry, Health and Hygeine Certificates are great, but if the chef doesent want to wash his hands after a number 2 then tough !! Who Checks..Who Cares ?

Voyager
28-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Like MULTISYNC said, who cares ......
Certificates mean Jack in this trade..

Bit like driving licences/speed limits.
People spend a lot of money getting a licence, doesn't stop thousands exceeding speed limits every day. And there are a lot more traffic cops than F Gas inspectors.

djbe
31-10-2009, 01:13 AM
No one care about this stuff. I know of many many companies not registered, engineers without safe handling let alone 2078 and nothing is done by either them, the suppliers, their customers or DEFRA.

I agree, here am I worrying when I can find the space to fit my 2079 in and loads of the guys I speak to aren't even qualified to 2078 and are still handling refrigerant?

Why can't it be sorted that the wholesalers won't supply to you unless you (as the engineer) can show some kind of i.d that you are qualified?

My customers still buy their own gas and reclaimed gas off guys that have been working at Tesco sites!!

typical bureacratic F***************up.

I was hoping that this would sort out the cowboys and let us get on with trading at a decent profit?

Makes me wonder why we should all bother at all, lets just fly by the seat of our pants, if the powers that be complain shut down their air con, let em sweat for a bit???????????

And before I get any lectures yes I have got a Refcom interim certificate.

cheers,djbe.

djbe
31-10-2009, 01:28 AM
and reclaimed gas off guys that have been working at Tesco sites!!

cheers,djbe.

Highlight this bit just in case the Tesco head office super high management top job BullSSSSters are reading it smug that they are doing their bit for the environment.

Yes I have been asked to charge gas into a 50 ton blast freezer that my customer bought reclaimed off guys up north that got it from a tesco site. They paid about £2 a kg for it and it was full of water, froze our gauge lines trying to get it in!

Don't deal with the :ocustomer any more