View Full Version : Trying to get into the business!

08-10-2009, 05:43 AM
I am currently servining in the armed forces as a marine engineer and am looking to leaving in a few years time. I believe that I would like to become a refridgeration engineer but being in the armed forces makes it hard to do any qualifications that may be of use to me.
I currently have an NVQ 2 in maintenance engineering looking to gain my NVQ 3 shortly but am unsure if I need to gain any other qualifications that mean I can leave my job and go into the fridge engineering world earning 21K+ (I have a mortgage etc to pay).

I have heard you need certain NVQ's and awards but am unsure if I can do distance learning with these or if I need to do an apprenticeship scheme.

Could I leave the forces now and do a fridge apprenticeship now at 25 years old with my salary needs?

Thanks for your time in reading this post, any help is much appreciated.

08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
stay in the forces you will be cared for for life

08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok you either work in the forces your self or have no idea about it.
If you have no idea i'll enlighten you: Try working from 3 in the morning till midnight then doing pretty much the same thing the next and the next. Then not seeing your family for 9months.
In 3 years I have been away for 2 of them in total and the rest on a shore base when I then get to see my family at weekends. The armed forces arent all they are cracked up to be.
I am looking for useful help please. I obviously dont enjoy my job or I wouldnt be leaving!

I look forward to sensible replys!

09-10-2009, 06:04 AM
an engineers ticket should be able to take you anywhere in the world!stick it out till your long service or pro rata is due which is probably in a few years as you say.in which time anything could change as the industry undergoes transformation.

hope thats sensible enough.lol
cheers good luck fella

09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Thats slightly better thanks.
Does anyone know of any distance learning courses that might be able to help train me up to a standard where I will be of some use to a company?

15-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Staglemon.

The problem with distance learning is that you also need 'hands on' training in order to get the basic qualifications.

You need to be qualified under the new Flourinated Gases regulations, which means taking either City & Guilds 2079 or the CITB equivalent.

This article will give a breakdown of what you need.


(note to Mods: not plugging - first one I found on Google)

P.S. Taunton? Are you based at Norton Manor? I was there with the Royal Corps of Transport in the '70s, and it was later taken over by the Royal Marines.

15-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Cool Concerns is a reputable and reliable training company - I'd suggest that you write to them, explaining your position.

You may also try Ellis Training:

I may be out of touch, but the forces usually have resettlement plans that may be able to help with training, but it depends on your length of service..