PDA

View Full Version : r 600

fridgemagnet202
05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
anyone have any info on r600?

Latte
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
What exactly do you want to know, most of the major suppliers websites will give you the usual data sheets, is this what you are looking for or more info on useage.

Regards

Raymond

fridgemagnet202
05-11-2004, 09:38 PM
thanks for reply. tried most supplier websites and info is scarse about said gas. only worked in commercial game and my sister asked me to look at her 600 pound fridge freezer that was 2 months out of warranty. a colleague told me it is norm to run on a 20 in vac. are there any substitutes ? etc

shogun7
06-11-2004, 01:44 AM
R-600 is Butane which is a very flammable refrigerant and that’s why it is used very sparingly in blends. I’m surprised that you said it was in a domestic fridge
I found this in “The News”, an article by Peter Powel, Refrigeration Editor

Scientists from the University of Jordan took a 2.5-ton split system air conditioner and replaced its R-22 with butane and propane in different ratios.
The report noted, “All investigated hydrocarbon mixtures can be used as possible alternative refrigerants to R-22 with COP values that are competitive with R-22 values.”
It was further noted that “The 100% propane mixture had the highest COP values among all the hydrocarbons tested. The 90% propane mixture is selected to be the most suitable alternative refrigerant to R-22 based on both higher COP and equal saturated pressure match.”
Finally, the report contended that such changes could be done “with no modifications or adjustments to [units] designed for R-22. No problems have been encountered with the compressor. No degradation of lubricating oil could be detected after the refrigerator worked for 1,000 hours using the same oil.” :)
MSDS DATA:http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BU/butane.html

Pandrone
06-11-2004, 01:59 AM
You sure it isn't R-600a? R-600 has a boilingpoint of -0.5c and R-600a has a boilingpoint of -11.7c. R-600a is used widely for fridges in Europe.