PDA

View Full Version : Burned out compressor motor

homeowner17
06-10-2009, 06:47 AM
I am a homeowner seeking some advice.

I have an FTXS series Daikin Inverter Room Air conditioner, with less than three months usage (but probably installed about six months ago) It blew the circuit breakers, failed to come on and now shorts out the electricity entirely if switched on. The technician tells me the compressor motor has burned out, but doesn't know what has caused it.

Could the burnout have been caused by a screw being drilled into the wall near the indoor unit and possibly too close to the cable going from the unit to the compressor. I can detect a wire behind the drywall about 4 inches from the screw but not directly behind or next to it.

If so, would the burnout happen immediately or after a period of time?

The compressor is on the roof with a lot of others which all seem to be fine.

Thanks
Homeowner17

nike123
06-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Could the burnout have been caused by a screw being drilled into the wall near the indoor unit and possibly too close to the cable going from the unit to the compressor. I can detect a wire behind the drywall about 4 inches from the screw but not directly behind or next to it.

Not likely! Is it circuit braker or residual current device what switch you off?

homeowner17
06-10-2009, 07:17 AM
The circuit breaker.

R. skiffington
06-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Is it a FTXS50 or 60? there has been a problem with the Inverter PCB,s in these models, (which is supposed to have been rectified) Is the technitian sure it is the compressor? how has he come to this conclusion? after resetting the CB does the unit bring up any fault codes? or does it trip imediately. It's very strange to have a comp on a Daikin fail so soon, there are several safety devices that are designed to prevent comp burn out.

R. skiffington
06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
The comp would not burn out due to a screw going through a cable but it could cause the CB to trip.

taz24
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I am a homeowner seeking some advice.

I have an FTXS series Daikin Inverter Room Air conditioner, with less than three months usage (but probably installed about six months ago) It blew the circuit breakers, failed to come on and now shorts out the electricity entirely if switched on. The technician tells me the compressor motor has burned out, but doesn't know what has caused it.

If so, would the burnout happen immediately or after a period of time?

The compressor is on the roof with a lot of others which all seem to be fine.

Thanks
Homeowner17

The chance of it being the screw is slim (not imposible but slim).
If the screw is not touching the cable it can't effect it..
The comp has failed for a reason and it has failed the earth (ground) so every time the power is switched on it takes the whole power to the house out.
If the tech has definately found the fault to be the comp then it should still be under warentee (if it is six months old).

Personaly I would check to see how it was instaled.
If it was not evacuated correctly it could have moisture in it which could have contributed to the problem, especially if there was air in the system as well.

But to find out why it will need to checked correctly.

Compressors do occasionaly fail and if it failed because of a problem with the windings then now is the best time to fail, under warentee.

Cheers taz.

homeowner17
07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys for all your comments. this is very helpful. I won't have any answers until I talk to the technician again which won't be until tomorrow. I'm not sure there's a wire by my screw, anyway. I think the scanning device is just showing a bit of static, but I can't really be sure.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time.

h17

El Padre
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi,
Does the breaker trip immediately, or does it trip after it has been on for 3 minutes or so, if the breaker trips immediately it sounds more like the noise filter or another component in the converter/inverter circuit.
The easy way would be to ask the technician before he replaces the compressor to disconnect the compressor and run the system if the breaker trips then that will narrow down his search, its always good practice to determine cause of failure before replacing a component, your technician will be able to help you on this.

Cheers

brunstar
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
it sounds like it could be an installation problem like water in an isolator, the installer needs to check his installation first of all i would say.
compressors do not usually fail in this short time..unless it has been installed with a gas leak or not enough refrigerant.
it would be interesting to see what ended up happening.
They may have also installed it on an RCD, if this is the case you may need a 100ma.