PDA

View Full Version : currently reading...

rbartlett
31-10-2004, 05:23 PM
the hiram key

anyone else read it??

cheers

richard

Abe
31-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Wet my apetite........Rich..........I need to know more
Maybe Marc "may" let me catch a whiff of his copy if he thinks me worthy

rbartlett
31-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Both Marc and I have discussed this issue at length before many moons ago...

At one pointy marc had his own website with an Egyptian link of mystical pasts (and some really pants music btw)

I actually DON'T have his copy but i knew he had already read it.. ;-)

Basically it's about the 'link' between the early christian religion, the Templars and freemasonry.

The writers set out to investigate the beginnings of freemasonry but found that early christianity possibly had an eventful path to the modern understanding.

I understand there is a follow up which is even better..

cheers

richard

shogun7
01-11-2004, 01:26 AM
A few observations by Trevor W. McKeown

The Hiram Key is yet another example of "Von Daaniken's syndrome" where wishful thinking and pre-determined conclusions replace facts in the presentation of opinion masquarading as theory. It is an entertaining read, and certainly presents some interesting ideas. But its presentation of opinion as fact does both Freemasonry and the academic study of masonic history a disservice.

In conclusion, their work is based on selective use of facts, assumptions built on hypothesis and research conducted to prove a previously formulated theory. This makes for good reading, but not good history. The authors have done no original source research. They are not familiar with the ancient Greek, Aramaic, Latin, Egyptian, or Hebrew texts.

A book review in the Scottish Rite Southern Jurisdiction magazine, shortly after the book's release, expressed disgust with the authors' treatment of Christianity and Judaism and found the book seriously wanting in many respects. Sounds like great fiction! ;)

shogun7
01-11-2004, 04:01 AM
I recently read The "Da Vinci Code" and "Cracking The Da Vinci Code" as well as "Holy Blood,Holy Grail",by BAIGENT, MICHAELLEIGH, RICHARD all excellent and interesting ;)

rbartlett
01-11-2004, 09:09 AM
shogun

i would prefer your views too on T.H.K rather than posting just someone elses (interesting as it is )

interestingly are you reading from a religion or FM perspective?

if so what is your take??

cheers

richard

http://www.catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp

Peter Croxall
01-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I have read the book and have lent it to a chap at work who I'm sure is a freemason :) .......Hmmmm I'm still waiting to hear this thoughts on the book...it should be interesting :D

shogun7
02-11-2004, 02:33 AM
[QUOTE=rbartlett]shogun

i would prefer your views too on T.H.K rather than posting just someone elses (interesting as it is )

interestingly are you reading from a religion or FM perspective?

if so what is your take??

cheers

richard

I have no views on T.H.K. as I have not read it. :) I posted my response because you made me curious about the book so I looked it up and found the article and thought it was a point of view you may have an opinion about. I don't know what FM means, however, I like to read and I find Religion quite fascinating. I consider myself a strong believer in a higher power (God) mainly because I should have died 3 times in this life and yet through faith I have survived and presently going strong. Besides I'm having too much fun having some people think I'm suffering from ADD :D

Peter Croxall
02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Shogun7/rbartlett,
Not being a freemason myself, I wouldn’t know if the ceremonies described were accurate or not. It would be interesting to get a view from a practicing freemason. :)
Also, not being of any particular religious persuasion, the thought of two Jesus’ on the cross and the crowd choosing which one should die an interesting concept. The point made about the new testaments being written 500 years after the death of Jesus and being based mainly on hearsay could possibly be true. :D

rbartlett
03-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Shogun7/rbartlett,
Not being a freemason myself, I wouldn’t know if the ceremonies described were accurate or not. It would be interesting to get a view from a practicing freemason. :)
Also, not being of any particular religious persuasion, the thought of two Jesus’ on the cross and the crowd choosing which one should die an interesting concept. The point made about the new testaments being written 500 years after the death of Jesus and being based mainly on hearsay could possibly be true. :D

firstly there are many different versions of the 'correct' ceremonies therefore this will be 'right' for some and 'wrong' for others.

the actual rituals are freely available on the web or in the local library..

the god/jesus/templars/freemasons connection is interesting and given the time difference between the actual 'events' and the writings slight errors are part and parcel but deems not relevent to the message..

I do rather enjoy the possiblilty that there are carvings of american maize etc on a templars/freemasonic church in Edinburgh predating columbus by 100+ years

http://www.crystalinks.com/rosslynchapel.html

however the book has been not exactly trashed but has had it's references questioned...

cheers

richard