PDA

View Full Version : Frick Model RXF-101 overhaul?

Dirtdobber
01-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I am new to my position and I am trying to learn as much as I can about the industrial refrigeration in our warehouse. We have recently been burned by a dishonest refrigeration tech. Our new tech is saying that our FRICK compressors model RXF-101 are about ready to be overhauled. Can anyone tell me how many run hours we should expect before an overhaul is reccomended. We have had regular PMs done and all our vibration tests have come back satisfactory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grizzly
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Welcome Dirtdobber.
I usually steer away from answering posts from disgruntled General Managers.
It stems from having spent many years in the Cold Store side of refrigeration.
Where the "Operations" remit is Minimum expenditure. Maximum Profit!
Which is always in direct conflict with the Engineers Philosophy.
"Do whatever is necessary to Maintain reliability"!

Having said that!
No engineer should need to falsify the required maintenance schedules.

Nor should any Manager get bitter because the Engineer is telling him.
About his having to spend money to maintain his equipment.

And as these are readily available from Frick.
I have attached a copy below.
Grizzly

RANGER1
01-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Also need to know what conditions compressor runs at and if it changes capacity ( slide valve ) regularily .

Type of refrigerant

Weak point in nearly all screws is slide valve wear which can damage rotor tips ( not repairable , easily ) and cause machine to be inneficient

Older frick info suggests

40 000 hrs high side operation

60 000 hrs booster duty

Also weigh up if it craps itself out of the blue how much will it cost you then . ie do you have any redundantcy .

Grizzly
01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Also need to know what conditions compressor runs at and if it changes capacity ( slide valve ) regularily .

Type of refrigerant

Weak point in nearly all screws is slide valve wear which can damage rotor tips ( not repairable , easily ) and cause machine to be inneficient

Older frick info suggests

40 000 hrs high side operation

60 000 hrs booster duty

Also weigh up if it craps itself out of the blue how much will it cost you then . ie do you have any redundantcy .

As I believe you may say, "Bloody well said".

Grizzly

josef
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Good to keep the compressor 25 000-30 000 hours is more difficult, 13 bearings. Josef

MJS
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Strong consideration must be attended to the type of machine and with the RXF the model. These are driven via speed increasers, and in this model tip speeds creep up to 7000!!! :eek: RPM.
The cost of rebuilding these have been prohibitive, and are often resultant in "throw-a-way" models.

The manuals can be helpful, ie changing filters and oil at recommended intervals, and constant awareness of operating parameters, proper calibration of sensors etc.. on the package.