PDA

View Full Version : motor/compressor laydown

dbehrns
01-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I tried using a Sears AC minifrige in my van conversion but it required a 1000Watt inverter to get it started and this was noisy and sucked down my deep cycle pretty fast. I recently acquired some 12v DC mini fridge "guts' which I plan to install in my Sears box. The motor compressor unit is about 8in tall and 4in diam and fits the box much better if I lay it down horizontal. Is there any reason it won't work in that orientation?

Also, the Sears AC unit is not designed for replacement. I have to either cut out the back of the box or sever the lines to remove it. Any suggestions besides "buy a new one"?

nike123
01-10-2009, 07:46 AM
I tried using a Sears AC minifrige in my van conversion but it required a 1000Watt inverter to get it started and this was noisy and sucked down my deep cycle pretty fast. I recently acquired some 12v DC mini fridge "guts' which I plan to install in my Sears box. The motor compressor unit is about 8in tall and 4in diam and fits the box much better if I lay it down horizontal. Is there any reason it won't work in that orientation?

Yes, inadequate lubrication! Compressor is designed for only vertical mounting.
What is compressor make and model#?

Brian_UK
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Have you thought about using the Danfoss BD 12/24 volt compressors instead ?

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/Danfoss/danfoss.asp

dbehrns
02-10-2009, 04:39 AM
WOW this is a surprise! The Brand is Swing Motor by Sawafuji mod 611E-F Series FL 60Hz 20V 40W. Does that mean that it's an AC motor with some sort of built in inverter? That doesn't seem right although there is a bunch of electronics attached including a transformer but i assumed this was for AC operation. I forgot to mention that the unit is 110AC/12vDC.

Brian:
What can you tell Me about the Danfoss unit? Is that a complete sealed and charged unit? I only Know tha Norcold want over $800 for a conversion unit

Brian_UK
02-10-2009, 11:30 PM
These compressors are just that, many units have been built into caravan/RV units and also the marine trade.

If you want a fully running system then you will have to search your local suppliers.