PDA

View Full Version : recurring coolant losses - are new hydrocarbon coolants more leak prone ?

oweno
29-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm experiencing something slightly strange and am trying to decide if I'm having a run of bad luck or if there is a systematic problem I'm having.

What's happening is this - I'm a landlord for student properties so the fridge freezers are off for 3-4 months over the summer whilst they are away. I come to switch them back on (they were working fine when switched off - and have been defrosted cleaned and left to air in the meantime - not shaken - not stirred)

...anyway switch them back on - and low coolant. (first couple of feet of pipe get cold - rest warm - compressor running all the time until it's thermal trip clicks it off for a bit)
... now if it was once I'd just think bad luck, but I've now had it happen 3 times on 3 different less than 5 year old appliances.....

so I'm thinking are the new coolants more prone to leaking than the old ones, or could there be another explanation ?

any comments or suggestions on a strategy to stop it happening welcome !

cheers.
Owen

Brian_UK
29-09-2009, 11:35 PM
How were they defrosted ?

Anyone chipping the ice off with sharp objects?

tony randall
29-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Are we talking R600a here ?

oweno
30-09-2009, 09:50 AM
no they were defrosted with blunt implements ! - and if there was a punture wouldn't there be a complete coolant loss not a partial one ?

oweno
30-09-2009, 09:52 AM
aha reaching the limit of my teeny expertise on the subject here - the most recent offender has a label on the back that said the coolant was either propane or isobutane (It's a couple of miles away from me so that's from memory)

tony randall
30-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Well isobutane/propane R600a has a far better chance of not leaking than R134a
The units are generally manufactured better due to the fact they contain a flammable coolant.
I think you are just unlucky.

happy
30-09-2009, 07:22 PM
what make are these fridges? If they are cheap chinese stuff then leaks are no suprise, they are often poorly constructed using poor quality materials - i've seen loads

tbirdtbird
01-10-2009, 04:18 AM
bingo......