PDA

View Full Version : Converting Care back to HCFC's

Latte
25-10-2004, 02:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I have come accross a few under counter cabinets that were originally Care according to the label but have had compressors changed and are now on R134/R404

Is this common place within the industry, does anyone out there do it, if so what else if anything has to be done apart from changing pot & drier

I think the units are either fosters ot williams (Cant remember)

regards

fatboy

frank
25-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi Raymond

Don't forget that you should be trained on HC's to do this conversion. How many on the forum are trained ? I for one am not and anytime I come across R600 I simply walk away. Any thoughts anyone ?

rbartlett
25-10-2004, 08:03 PM
i have been trained back in '99 and as i don't work on domestics it has been a complete waste of someone elses money!!

cheers

richard

Latte
25-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Frank,
While i appreciate what you say about being trained on CARE from what i hear for EVERY engineer that has done the course is that it is a waste of time. Nothing practical is done, just sitting about telling people the obvious. Dont use a flame on a system with gas in, Dont vent near something that can set light.

I assume most pots have been changed after a gas leak & it's seized in which cases i would remove unit to outside, purge with OFN Before even thinking of starting to sweat it.

I was just wondering if this was common place to convert these units back.
By the way, if you take H & S seriously by the book, what the hell are they doing putting CARE fridges in kitchens right next to naked flames

Regards

Fatboy

Kapital
25-10-2004, 10:10 PM
I,ve changed many a comp on care 30 usually fitted on elstar and staycold bottle coolers some under counter fridges and some gram units not seen a williams or fosters using care yet,if the comps dead we fit a new comp on R134a if its still ok then new filter and charge R409a being carfull not to overcharge as this is very easy to do,I have found many capillary,s blocked in care 30 units and sometimes just scrap the unit,gram use spark free condenser fan motors on theres but there crap so we end up fitting multifits anyway,they only use a small amount of gas and are not that scary but I think the problems out way the green benefits.