PDA

View Full Version : Fridge vs Freezer running costs at 10C

Kerby
28-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Afternoon all,

bit of an odd one perhaps.

If I have a fridge rated at 170kw/h and a freezer rated at 260kw/h which would be cheaper to run at 10C?

I'm converting one of the above into a Fermenting cupboard for brewing beer, I figured that the added insulation of the freezer would mean that the temperature retention would be better meaning that the compressor would activate less often - saving me money. Am I near the mark or would the fridge be better? I shall be running them at various times between 0C and 18C.

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers

nike123
28-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Freezer cannot run at 10°C!

Kerby
28-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Freezer cannot run at 10°C!
It can if I use a probe and external thermostat to turn the compressor on and off (I have 3 fridges that I control like that at the moment) :-)

Frikkie
28-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Too many variables. Insulation efficiency and door configuration can all cause longer compressor running and cost more electricity.

I would make an experiment in your workshop and decide that way.

nike123
29-09-2009, 07:36 AM
It can if I use a probe and external thermostat to turn the compressor on and off (I have 3 fridges that I control like that at the moment) :-)

I did not mean that!
I mean that refrigeration system designed for use as freezer cannot run at 10°C (or 18°C) box temperature as his normal working temperature for extended period simply because it is not designed for that. Compressor overheats, condenser is not big enough when outdoor temperature is high, TXV is small, evaporator is small for that compressor capacity at high evaporation temperature, electric switch and protection devices in switchboard are not set or dimensioned for greater current etc., etc.....

Those 3 fridges, if they where designed as freezers, will have short life!