PDA

View Full Version : The time has come to leave home !

eggs
22-10-2004, 12:01 AM
The time has come for the next step of my business adventure.
It is time to leave the back bedroom, and clear out the garage.
There is a trio of sorry looking clasic japanese classic motorbikes in there needing some tlc (rd350lc, rg500gamma & nsr400, if anybody cares)
I am looking for some premises.
Basically i want: an office for two, stock storage for copper, pumps and install consumables etc and somwhare to park the van.
I thought about 1000 sq/ft.
There is four of us now, me (a/c, ventilation, fitting, estimating and general admin etc, my sidekick (refrig, design, fitting and service) and two navvies.
We dont really want to grow the company size much more. But once we sign the lease, we don't want to be to restricted.
The questions are:
What size premises do you operate from, and what size company are you ?
Are we better of as back bedroom merchants, considering our small size ?
How flexible is a flexible lease ?
Can you really seperate home from work, if you no longer work from home ?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

eggs

Abe
23-10-2004, 07:03 PM
The time has come for the next step of my business adventure.

As you percieve it to be " an adventure" it is sure to succeed
An adventure is something you look forward to, are prepared for and have lots of fun doing it, necessary attributes in business.

It is time to leave the back bedroom, and clear out the garage.

I take it stop working from home, and garage

I am looking for some premises.

Premises are great, providing they " work" for you and cover your costs, if its premises, then you can provide a sales ffice and showroom, display stuff and market yourself from this vantage.

Premises are great for key, higher profile customers who value the perception for instillment in their mind set of your credible nature.

There is four of us now, me (a/c, ventilation, fitting, estimating and general admin etc, my sidekick (refrig, design, fitting and service) and two navvies.

You need to cost the income you require to generate to pay everyone each week, plus all insurances........( have you noticed the sky rocketing public insurance)

I would build the business by " branding" it. ie: a sure identifiable image with appropriate logos, letterheads , down to the last picture of your businesss a potential customer will see. Vehicle make, model, look and livery included.

Give your business a good name, geared to your specific target markets, you need to set out your business objectives, strategise for the next twelve to eighteen months, and spell out your mission statements.

Selecting target segments is crucial and allocate specific roles to each member/

Without much info from you, it is difficult to assume exactly what you have in mind...........but on this post I will emphasise, that you need to consider the Imaging of your business and persona as paramount.

You need to seek the help of an accountant to determine whether you operate as a Private Limited company.

More information from you would be helpful/

Abe