PDA

View Full Version : Carlyle compressor

john.sikiotis
25-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone. I have a problem with a carlyle compressor 80ps (type 5H8098380). It stop from oil pressure. I have 2 bar in suction and 2 bar in oil pump pressure , so the diferential is 0. I disconnected the oil pump and it has a code 5H40. Could it be that the oil pump is for a smaller compressor such as a 40ps and do not work good on a bigger. Notice that my client sent the compressor to have it fully repaired after a damage that it had and i thing that someone there switched the oil pump with a smaller one , not knowing the mistake he was doing.The pump is clean from any dirt that could stop the oil pressure. Any ideas anyone?? Is it what i thing or am i mistaking?

GHAZ
25-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi 5h-40 and 5h-80 have same oil pumps,same piston,conrod,covers,capacity control system,oil pressure relief valves. the only difference is in number of cyclinder one has 4, and the other has 8.Did the oil pressure problem occur upon commisioning or afterwards,because the oil pump is not bi directional ,it only runs in one direction. let me know if it is during the commisioning and i will explain how to switch the oil pump direction,be careful because when you take the big end cover off to get to the oil pump ,you have to make sure the crankshaft don,t move back and drop the thrust washer down and seize the compressor

john.sikiotis
26-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I made the compressor run both ways but the problem was the same.The problem occured after we took the compressor from a company fully repaired(??)and made him run.

Grizzly
26-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.
Generally the more you know about a subject the worse the problem!
Bite the bullet and obtain another oil pump.
New or second hand it does not matter.
Then use that to prove the pump!
Basically when the oil pressure is the same as the suction.
I would check that the drive dog on the oil pump is not sheared?
You have proved that the oil pump rotates haven't you?
Grizzly

john.sikiotis
27-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Of cource it rotates.But the pressure is only 2 bar . I checked carefully and let also some oil to come out so i am sure that oil is being pressed.But only 2 bar and suction line also 2 bar!!!!! 2 minus 2=0 boum....

GHAZ
27-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi john check oil pressure relief valve and ask the rebuild company if they changed the non drive end bearing housing because the standard one has no oil cooler ,and the one with oil cooler facility has a 1/2 inch tube inserted inside it to cutting off the oil supply and by pass it to the oil cooler,so the pump might be making pressure but its not registering, because of blockage.you have to remove the small tube,it located at about 11,ol**** undo the grub screw and pull it ,or you can make an loop and by pass it.and the last thing is that the oil pump has to be set at right thrust,the best way to check that is take off the pump cover and remove the thin pump gasket and then place the cover back on tight and see if there is any thrust on the dog tang and spin it ,if its too loose then you have to knock the round inserted plate back a little bit ,which is in the bearing housing behind the bearing ,repeat the process until its better and then check the thrust if its slightly tight then replace the pump gasket back on you should have about 2thou play .

john.sikiotis
28-09-2009, 06:49 PM
O.k i will check it and let you know.thanks anuway

john.sikiotis
30-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I want to ask if the main boaring is attached on the oil pump or does it leave a small gap? And something else ... do you know Chaz what the thickness of the pump end boaring washer is? it would be very usefull...

GHAZ
30-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi the pump end thrust washer is .188 inches max and .186 inches min, the end play on crankshaft is .014 to .042 inches, the oil pump axial clearance .0015 inches max and .0005 inches min, the drive shaft diameter is .4361 inches max and .4356 inches min, drive shaft bushing diameter is .4375 inches max and .4370 inches min , hope this is helpful

Thetraveler1963
03-10-2009, 12:45 AM
The main problem I have ran into on Carrier pistons for oil is the releaf not beeing set right if you turn the pump cover the wrong way you shouldent get any pressure at all I have found one compressor where the casting arrow was the wrong way (manufacturer defect) and it ran fine after turning it to the wrong direction :) I have found one other problem doing the same on one compressor I found a small pin hole in the housing between the low and high side of the housing holding the pump but your broblem is most probably a releaf setting