PDA

View Full Version : PLC Controller vs Electronic Controller

Kaka
25-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi I am new here.. i would like to understand what are the advantage and disadvantage of PLC controls comparing to Electronic type controls..

PLC like Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Honeywell..

Electronic like Carel, Eliwell, Dixell..

nike123
25-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Question is wrong.
Both categories are electronic controllers.
PLC mean Programmable Logic Controllers and they are programmable as their name suggest.
That mean you develop program which control your application and than load that program in PLC memory.
In that group also belong Carel PcO. They are more versatile (and expensive) than other group and could be easy programed to suit all possible/imaginable tasks in control of unit.

Other group is parametric controllers.
They are already programed and they are configured by certain parameters which you change in your "programing" session. They are made to suit certain scope of task and they cannot be reprogrammed or simmilar.

lowcool
26-09-2009, 01:05 AM
ones made for the job and cheaper than the other as nike said

w.l.ong
25-10-2009, 02:40 PM
hi,
you can use PLC + Electronic controller for control cooling application,
what you need to understand is the control Logic,
i had programs more than 50 PLC with Carel electronic control.

w.l.ong

cadillackid
25-10-2009, 03:03 PM
if its a pretty standard type of setup then i suggest electronic controls because the engineering has already been done and most likely will work good for the application the control is made for..

the parameters on an electronic control will likely not allow you to push settings so far out of bounds as to ruin the equipment

if you are setting up a custom or non standard application then you will likely need the flexibility of a PLC... however with a PLC you will have to put in all your own safeguards.. watch-dogs, and will have to "engineer" the system's control yourself....

-Christopher

Sledge
04-11-2009, 03:36 AM
As said above a PLC is programmable and versatile for many applications.

An "electronic" controller, is designed for a specific application.

I have worked with both:

What I have normally seen is for an electronic controller to be used for controlling a stand alone system/equipment controlling temperature and machine operation ...while using a PLC to provide over all control...perhaps to control duty cycle etc.

I have seen built up systems in the car plants, where a PLC has been used to control multiple zones in an oven, or gas fired air supply houses or a PLC has been used to control operation of a process chiller. What this means is very complex programming, and very expensive components to provide temperature monitoring/control. Overkill to the extreme.

Much more cost effective, and much better performance to use the first method.

Magoo
04-11-2009, 04:07 AM
It all comes down to money.

desA
04-11-2009, 05:42 AM
complication = headache + expense

e80199
13-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello,

I'm working now with the Elstat EMS 55 and 55R in our equipment. ( I work for the Coca-Cola company)
We've got the users manual with it but it does'nt tell us all i suppose.
Anybody knows the hwole story of all adjustments and info you can get out of this controller?

Many thanks in advance,

Greets,

Harm.

Sam Man
17-11-2009, 12:18 AM
If possible i would stay electric unless you can get full control of PLC setpoints, overrides and releases. Problem is if you change over to PLC from electronic you are giving your work away any time you are not able to access lodgic and have to call in computer tech to change temps, calibration or troubleshooting