PDA

View Full Version : LG units

Welder
24-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Seen a lot of bad comments about these from 2 to 3 years ago.are they any better now?:mad:

paul thompson
24-09-2009, 07:21 PM
i installed 2 LG wall mounted heatpumps 4 years ago in my house , i service them once a year and they run perfectly .ive heard bad things about them . but i can only speak as i find .10/10 for my 2 units

AbsoluteWDJ
24-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Installed LG. Serviced and maintained LG. Found many of problems with LG and found many that have never had a problem but as a rule I would never supply them for my own customers. It's only a personal point of view.

Makeit go Right
25-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I just spoke with a distributor today, regarding LG kit. He was a little backed off recommending LG as they are a serious pain with spares. Whilst the distributor stocked some LG spares, if they needed something from LG it was always 6-10 weeks, while they shipped it into UK.

With Fujitsu, on the other hand, they were able to boast a mega-healthy supply of spares from their own extensive stock, and I know other distributors have a good supply.

SPARES is an important issue, not much discussed when the system is sold/installed, but it should be considered. I came up against this recently, looking for Midea spares. The sole UK-distributor told me they did not have the spare part and I would have to buy a full set (condenser+room unit)! A real nightmare...customer concerned that he had bought unsupported kit. It was a spin-up whether rip out the Midea kit and reuse the interconnecting for something with sensible spares support, OR play ball with that kind of madness? Quite a row.

As for LG, generally, I have been scared off using them because of many previous reports of defective kit. But a customer insisted we install an LG split, about a year ago, which went in without any hitch and has been running fine. I remember the Install Manual had some odd requirement for oil traps (unusual for a small lift on a split), though this did not apply in our particular install. (I will take great care to double check this oil-trap aspect if I ever get another LG install/order.)

But I do find LG a breath of fresh air in other respects, sleek wall-mount designs, quite a wide versatile range, with some nice features.

Thermatech
25-09-2009, 06:17 PM
The Korean's make budget cost domestic ac products which might work for a few hundred hrs per year for a year or two & then the punter is fed up with all the problems & moves on to get a proper good qaulity system installed.
So the Koreans have done very well in parts of the world with very large domestic market for comfort cooling split systems & most installing contractors are plumbers or electricians who dont have the experiance to tell a good ac system from a poor quality one.

You will notice that the Koreans often only make a model for a year or two & then replace with something completely different because there were so many warrantee isues with the old system.
But they never learn from the design mistakes because the focus is on making it cheap so lots of cut corners on the design.
The most important design feature is some gimic to make it look good.

By comparisson the Japan manufacturers continually improve & refine a system over many many years & so any problems tend to be designed out when the next improved model is produced & the focus is on technical quality.

LG ( air conditioning ) have always made low cost budget split systems with very poor quality design & manufacture & for them to start making quality design & manufacture equipment would take a complete step change in the LG corporate culture.

Thats not something we are likely to see happen any time soon.
Lifes good :(

Shibhrac
25-09-2009, 08:09 PM
The Korean's make budget cost domestic ac products which might work for a few hundred hrs per year for a year or two & then the punter is fed up with all the problems & moves on to get a proper good qaulity system installed.
So the Koreans have done very well in parts of the world with very large domestic market for comfort cooling split systems & most installing contractors are plumbers or electricians who dont have the experiance to tell a good ac system from a poor quality one.

You will notice that the Koreans often only make a model for a year or two & then replace with something completely different because there were so many warrantee isues with the old system.
But they never learn from the design mistakes because the focus is on making it cheap so lots of cut corners on the design.

By comparisson the Japan manufacturers continually improve & refine a system over many many years & so any problems tend to be designed out when the next improved model is produced & the focus is on technical quality.

LG ( air conditioning ) have always made low cost budget split systems with very poor quality design & manufacture & for them to start making quality design & manufacture equipment would take a complete step change in the LG corporate culture.

i do not agree with what you have said about the poor quality of LG units. Lg has proved to be one of the best A/C units in the world. I have installed 50 split ac units in one area 7 years ago ,and all are still running for 24 hours daily without any failur. LG units required less maintenance if we compared it with other split units were manufactured by others and being installed in the same location.

Makanic
03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
[quote=Shibhrac;161792] Lg has proved to be one of the best A/C units in the world.

LOL you Must be in a small part of the world

LG A/C 1 Word.... JUNK .....

LG = Is Lucky Goldstar
Goldstar Made Junk ,Lucky merged with Goldstar
Marketing is Lifes Good ..

Karl Hofmann
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I think that the reliability of an LG unit depends on the model... Some just run for years and years with no problem, they seem to be the middle of the road stuff like 3kW wall mounts, my own Artcool mirror fixed speed is a perfect example of this... The problems occour with stuff at the edge of what should be done like the 10kW single phase wall mount, fixed speed and the 600mm X 600mm 7kW Cassette fixed speed... (Shows the last time I fitted an LG). I find that most LG stuff suffer from poor plastic mouldings causing things to break off and flaps to squeek and not close. There is a lot of better quality stuff on the market for a similar price...

nike123
04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
:off topic:I hate this board sometimes. Reason - no delete button and some weird behavior when editing posts!

nike123
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Nicely said! I agree with everything said above.
And that could be also said for Samsung and for Chinese "quality" brands (Midea, Haier, Panasonic etc...).

El Padre
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I have changed three fascia panels on the same LG cassette in as many years, they crack on the corner, despite this being an obvious and well known flaw, LG deny all responsability,
I have told my client that if/when the next fascia cracks to install a unit from a reliable quality manufacturer (Daikin,Mitsubishi etc.)

Cheers