PDA

View Full Version : General ABG18 louvre swing

aircon50
21-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi guys. There's a wealth of experience in these 'ere web pages..... Have a small problem with an old (R22) General ABG18, cool only, in that suddenly last week the horizontal swing ceased to function. Vertical swing, and all other functions on handset ok. Batteries have been replaced, and all settings cleared. At the moment do not have another handset to compare. Have any of you come across this before? Your thoughts, please - handset, or unit?
Thanks in advance
Graham

Brian_UK
21-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Possibly swing motor failure or a broken linkage perhaps.

ozairman
22-09-2009, 05:18 PM
What is the rest of the model code? if this is the plastic case floor ceiling convertible unit the swing motors should be the same for horizontal and vertical. You could try swapping the motors and plugs over on the controller pcb to see if there is any effect. Also if this function is used a lot on the remote the conductive pads in the remote wear out after a while as well. The Brown lead of the swing motor is Common, you should have equal resistance from Brown to all of the other coloured leads.

nike123
22-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Check at your web-cam or mobile phone camera or digital photo if bright white light is visible from remote when you press that horizontal louver button with remote pointed to objective.
I use my mobile phone to check that.

aircon50
22-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks ozairman, and nike123, for your comments. Have not got rest of model code to hand, but yes - it is a floor/ceiling unit. I forgot to mention that the led for the horizontal swing does not come on, but there is 'bleep' from the unit. Vertical swing and all other functions ok. Will check motors as suggested.
Thanks again, Graham

aircon50
06-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Ozairman. Unit is ABG18AGC-W and remote is AR-BB1. Have swapped motor connectors, and motor is ok. Remote control has been dismantled and is clean, all key pads result in a 'bleep' from unit. The vertical swing switches on and the led illuminates, but it's the devils own job to adjust the range of swing. The horizontal swing key only results in a 'bleep', and nothing else. As this unit is a (my) local bar, I would really like to sort with minimum expenditure. At the moment unit is operating with horizontal swing motor connected to vertical swing connector, and vertical swing disconnected. I have also tried removing and refitting batteries, and pushing ACL.
Nike123, I could not get a white light from any key push on my mobile. Maybe I was doing something wrong!
Does anybody have any ideas please. I would like a circuit diagram for this unit, but so far unable to locate despite various web searches.
Thanks for you help so far. Graham

nike123
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Ozairman. Unit is ABG18AGC-W and remote is AR-BB1. Have swapped motor connectors, and motor is ok. Remote control has been dismantled and is clean, all key pads result in a 'bleep' from unit. The vertical swing switches on and the led illuminates, but it's the devils own job to adjust the range of swing. The horizontal swing key only results in a 'bleep', and nothing else. As this unit is a (my) local bar, I would really like to sort with minimum expenditure. At the moment unit is operating with horizontal swing motor connected to vertical swing connector, and vertical swing disconnected. I have also tried removing and refitting batteries, and pushing ACL.
Nike123, I could not get a white light from any key push on my mobile. Maybe I was doing something wrong!
Does anybody have any ideas please. I would like a circuit diagram for this unit, but so far unable to locate despite various web searches.
Thanks for you help so far. Graham
If you have bleeping sound your signal is transmitted and it is probably that PCB i s faulty since motor works when connected to other motor connector.
If you don't know how to repair electronic PCB than I don't see what is point to have circuit diagram.

aircon50
06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Nike123. Was there anything I said that makes you think I can't repair PCB? If I couldn't I wouldn't ask for circuit diagram. Graham

nike123
06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Nike123. Was there anything I said that makes you think I can't repair PCB? If I couldn't I wouldn't ask for circuit diagram. Graham
No need to be ofended. It is also nothing in your posts or profile that tells that you are skilled in that trade.

Here it is:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2po8qc6.jpg

Check IC4/5 and his power supply. Check PCB connector CN11 and cables from PCB to connector you swapped. Also check if you have signal from main IC (P24-27).

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/11973/ONSEMI/MC1413DR2/+01J74uKKPDLpbOGAvtzlaw+/datasheet.pdf

It is left one more possibility that somehow signal from remote is corrupted/distorted or correct code is not entered in string for some reason.
I would check with replacement remote if that is the case before change of PCB.

nike123
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Here is video of how should any remote light when button is pressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkbgjCjYvM

aircon50
07-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks Nike123. Sorry if I was a bit short. I was slightly annoyed at the assumption that because I have not broadcast my skillsets, that I am lacking. Assume = ass of you and me! (in all walks of life!)
I'm not so sure that this is the right area for individual skills to be publicised. Maybe a CV area within the forum? However, moan over. I only started this thread in the hope that somebody else, somewhere, had come across this, or a similar problem before.
Will let you know progress. Thanks again, Graham

aircon50
19-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Nike 123. It looks as though you were right with the remote. Found another General remote and tried. Although the on/off key is faulty, the horizontal and vertical swings, and all other instruction signals were correct. It would appear that the remote signal is corrupt. Thanks again. Graham