PDA

View Full Version : refrigerant dye

reefertech
18-09-2009, 02:02 AM
is it possible for refrigerant dye to freeze if someone puts way to much of it in system?? thanks in advance

abbsnowman
18-09-2009, 04:01 AM
The simple answer is no. Dye is simply a powder chemical that is mixed in oil for injection purposes. Too much oil in system..... oh ya that can be an issue.
Why do you ask?

tmm
18-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Reefertech, following from previous comment can I caution you in adding too much dye to the system.
If you consider the basic dry evaporative system the expansion valve starts the process at the head of the coil. If I can just refresh your memory the expansion valve is a mechanical/electronice device which operated either directly via temperature input, the phial on top of the valve in the mechanical example, or as a result in changing resistance value, again as a result of temperature change, in the case of the electronic example.
Manufacturers produce ideal positioning of the bulb/thermistor relative to a conventional clock face.
Given that the oil will be at the lowest part of the system, in this example a pipe, you would not position a sensing device say at six o'clock.
This might seem an obvious point to make but if you add a dye to the circuit you will add another layer above the oil which can and frequently does affect the sensing device. If this process continues the sensing device becomes insulated typically resulting in no valve control and operation of the high pressure switch.
Despite regular requests as to the suitability of dyes in systems and what level is acceptable I have not received a direct reply!
My best advice is remove the refrigerant and pressure test the system with Nitrogen.

tmm

abbsnowman
18-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Well put Tmm.

beagle
19-09-2009, 12:40 PM
It's always worth checking with the kit manufacturer before using this stuff as well, some compressor manufacturers will throw out any warranty claims as soon as they find any trace of it.

reefertech
19-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys, the reason that I ask is because they make me do a/c work on the trucks along with all the other techs that have limited refrigeration knowledge. The recovery tanks and every tractor a/c system seems to be about 50 % dye. I`ve been having problems with a Sterling ccot system that works fine until the drivers get out on the road with it. Pressures are normal (I guess, Im not very knowledgeable on orfice tube systems) as far as I can tell everything is in perfect working order. I never use dye in reefers so I dont know to much about it either. Thanks again for your responses.

MRW
21-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi there,
if there is too much dye in the system,the filter drier could become partially blocked.
The a/c would operate when static but when going down the road the system would fail,try replacing the drier and recharge with a new charge of refrigerant,

taz24
22-09-2009, 08:22 AM
The only thing that should be in a fridge system is refrigerant. We tolerate oil because it is nessessary but that is all.

If dye was meant to be in the system, the system manufacturer would put it in.

taz.

MRW
22-09-2009, 07:22 PM
some vehicle manufacturers put dye in to the a/c
system when they are built,this is to aid the vehicle mechanics with leak checking especially when its under warranty.Alot of garages do not leak test with ofn,so rely on u/v dye to locate leaks.
As for reefers Thermoking do not reccommend dye used and will invalidate the warranty,sorry cannot comment on carrier.

taz24
23-09-2009, 08:44 AM
some vehicle manufacturers put dye in to the a/c
system when they are built,this is to aid the vehicle mechanics with leak checking especially when its under warranty.Alot of garages do not leak test with ofn,so rely on u/v dye to locate leaks.
As for reefers Thermoking do not reccommend dye used and will invalidate the warranty,sorry cannot comment on carrier.

Yes I agree.
But I my opinion that is more of a reflection of the standard of skill for the mechanics than it is an advert for the dye.

taz.

abbsnowman
23-09-2009, 04:25 PM
What do you have against dye there Taz?

taz24
23-09-2009, 04:44 PM
What do you have against dye there Taz?

I have seen it responsible for compressor oil problems and in anything less than a purfectly pure system it caused contamination, which contributed to high TEV orrifice failures, dryer blockages and liquid logging in evaps.

In truth I think everything has its place and if used in moderation, combined with correct practices, dye does have its place. From experience I have seen systems fail because of it and do not like it.

Cheers taz.

abbsnowman
24-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I hear what your saying. Freightliner and most other vehicle manufacturers are including dye wafers in the driers. I have often wondered about too much as well but I would hope they have done the homework.
One other downfall would be the heck of a mess it makes.
Thanks for your response!

taz24
24-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I hear what your saying. Freightliner and most other vehicle manufacturers are including dye wafers in the driers. I have often wondered about too much as well but I would hope they have done the homework.
One other downfall would be the heck of a mess it makes.
Thanks for your response!

One thing it was good for!!!

Marking the apprentices head so when he went night clubbing he glowed like a light bulb :D :cool:

taz

abbsnowman
25-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Now thats funny. I think I may try that!

reefertech
26-09-2009, 01:17 AM
that is funny;)

aircon50
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
For my sins, I had a couple years working on heavy construction equipment, trucks and cars a/c. The compressor oil as supplied had the dye in it. (From a major Spanish automotive a/c supplier)
I would always be ultra cautious when using materials not authorised by the manufacturers. If in doubt, contact them.
At the end of the day, OFN is a well tried tested and proven method of leak detection. ( I just wish there was some way of getting as cheap in the Canaries, as in UK!)
Y'all have a good weekend, Graham

KibGaimb73
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Sean. I may do that, but figured I would stick it on here first. Might stick it on craigslist, too. BTW, if it is outlawed for use, why is it still available through the internet?

Jon-I think it is R134 and that they are now going to R134A, whatever that is.

Yuri B.
13-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Does anybody know whether the dye(s) mix with nitrogen?
Prob. it is a foolish qwestion as dye needs liquid to be dissolved in.

Yuri B.
13-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I just meant the following.
By Taz24

The only thing that should be in a fridge system is refrigerant. We tolerate oil because it is nessessary but that is all.

By Aircon50

At the end of the day, OFN is a well tried tested and proven method of leak detection.

Will it work? To find a leakage in a system, if I put in it dye, fill it with some 1-3 Bar of nitrogen, run the compressor with this ****tail for some few minutes (for the dye to expand well through the system).
Having found the leakage, let it all out. Is it impossible ?, for probably nobody really dont like the dye to remain where it is not intended to be.

Yuri B.
13-10-2009, 05:25 PM
****tail
The censorship is here simply ridiculous - I meant just the popular drinkable liquid, no rudeness.

xamtex
22-10-2009, 04:43 AM
uv dye is fitted as standard by many manufacturers on new builds..ford for example....and used properly its an invaluable tool.
i do automotive aircon and add uv dye to every system i service.
ofn...well my ofn kit will pressirize the system to 11 bar.....but some systems reach higher pressures in operation....so a very tiny leak that only happens at say 13 bar may not show up.
i do an ofn test on empty systems...the machine does a vac test.....then i add oil and uv dye.
i may get a call back days or sometimes weeks later that the system has failed....i go back...shine my uv light and the leak is easily spotted.
without uv im back to square 1???
you can get pag oil with dye which makes it impossible to overdose the system

Yuri B.
22-10-2009, 06:07 PM
After our mechanics forced the dye into a number of units, all of the sight glasses are now indicating that refrigerant is "wet".
Interestingly still, whether there is a way to test a system in this new (maybe not so new) way, upon what get the rid of the dye ?