PDA

View Full Version : Removal of A/C systems

Kirky
14-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Been asked to price for a job involving the decommissioning and removal of a number of split systems on R22. Am I required to remove the full system i.e indoor, outdoor, pipework or once I have recovered the gas is it job done.

Brian_UK
14-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Your question seems to answer your own query, "Removal of systems".

What is required should be detailed in the tender documents, we can't really answer that one for you.

Shibhrac
14-09-2009, 05:10 PM
You should have read the contract for dismantelling those units. Or you should have asked the owner who will properly pay the bills.

Kirky
14-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Yes but the equipment owner just wants a price for making the units safe prior to the building being knocked down. I just wanted to know where I stand under f-gas regs. I know for sure that the refrigerant charge needs removing but not sure whether the pipework and indoor unit are classed as contaminated waste or can they simply be left and removed during demolition of the building.

Shibhrac
14-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the best thing is to get the pipe drawing from the owner himself. It's much more better and helpfull if you know the way how the pipe work was connected throw the wall than guessing. If that is not possible and you are asked to remove them. Make your bid for the the worst estimations. I assume all recoverable materials should not be left and classified as waste .

Magoo
15-09-2009, 03:13 AM
By law you are required to recover the R-22 into bottles for disposal. Before your dismantle systems.
magoo

Clk320_Greg
15-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I think i correct in saying F-Gas regs cover the refrigerant, not the equiptment.

Once you have taken the gas out then the units become no more of an envirmental hazzard then a computer moniter!

Shibhrac
15-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Once again. It's much better and safer if you get the drawings which show how those units were connected. Knowing the complete loop of the units will lead to safe handling and complete recovery of the HCFC R22.

taz24
15-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I think i correct in saying F-Gas regs cover the refrigerant, not the equiptment.

Once you have taken the gas out then the units become no more of an envirmental hazzard then a computer moniter!

Except for the oil in the comp and pipe runs.

They come under the Environmental Protection Act as a controlled substance. You would be required to make the comp oil and any oil in the pipes safe as well.

taz

moondawn
15-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Except for the oil in the comp and pipe runs.

They come under the Environmental Protection Act as a controlled substance. You would be required to make the comp oil and any oil in the pipes safe as well.

taz

hi taz if the refrigerant out of the pipework had been reclaimed and removed from site, what would the procedure be to reclaim the oil from pipework and from the compressor?

never done this before when decommisioning systems

thanks in advance
lee

glenn1340
15-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I`d be in there now ripping the pipe work out, even now copper is a good price I got over £300 for six sacks of the stuff. The Outdoor units will be worth some money as scrap, the only things to pay to get rid of would be the indoor units. As long as you`ve got the paperwork to cover the skip company there should be no probs.

R1976
15-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Drill a hole in compressor and drain oil.

airconlad
16-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi

As long as the R22 has been recovered and you can provide a certificate / paperwork to show that each unit has had the R22 safely recovered your local scrap metal dealer will take them off your hands for cash and strip them down for steel, Copper, Brass and Alu etc as at todays scrap metal prices they are worth quite a bit when copper is at a high of £2.00 a kilo.

Took a few scrap fujitsu & mistubishi units to my local enviroment agency approved scrap metal dealer who was more than happy to take them and will take more, did not get that much for them but I know they will be recycled which is the best thing all round.

They deal with lots of gear like car engines so a bit of mineral oil is nothing to them as they will have seen it before and have processes to deal with it.

Problem solved and they funded quite a few pints down the pub.

Airconlad.

airconlad
16-09-2009, 12:51 AM
By law you are required to recover the R-22 into bottles for disposal. Before your dismantle systems.
magoo

Not if your a pikey, the law does not apply to them! they let 60 - 70 kilos of R22 out into the air from about 30 split systems for the copper pipe and other metal.

Anoying thing is I need 1.800 Kg of R22 Doh!

Words cannot be put here of what I think of them.:mad:

Magoo
16-09-2009, 06:11 AM
I do not now what a pickey is, sounds like scrap dealer. What ever, shoot them on the water with the law, easy pickings, plus send the message to all low life scrapers.
magoo

Shibhrac
16-09-2009, 12:28 PM
When it comes to drain the oil from a hermatic compressor i noticed that many suggested drill a hole in the bottom of the compressor's crankcase. I wonder how this silly idea will work .i would advice those who wanted to drain the oil or replace it not to follow this silly ideas. replacing or draining the oil should be made in a save manner to the technicin, equipment,and to the environment.

R1976
16-09-2009, 10:12 PM
shibhrac

Why is it a silly idea?

What is wrong with drilling a hole in a compressor that has been degassed and removed from a system?

moondawn
18-09-2009, 09:58 AM
so could drill a hole in the compressor or even un braze it and pour out the contents of oil but what about the pipework which has been decanted, oil may still be in the pipes?

cheers lee

R1976
23-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I would say that the oil in the pipes is negligable.

moondawn
23-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I would say that the oil in the pipes is negligable.

i have removed lots of units and pipework and never come across much oil in the pipes, just wanted to know what the proper procedure was really
thanks for your reply

lee

Makeit go Right
24-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Been asked to price for ...removal of a number of split systems....Am I required to remove the full system i.e indoor, outdoor, pipework or once I have recovered the gas is it job done.

If asked to remove a SYSTEM, I would say that you should price for strip out and removal from site of the kit, interconn pipework, and interconn wiring. The power would be a separate issue, possibly excluded for a sparks to deal with.

If you want to make your price look more interesting, maybe just quote for decommissioning and safe remove+dispose of the fridge gas. Seal off the condensers and mark as empty of gas but containing compressor oil. Maybe the demo contractor just needs that part done and he can strip out and dispose of the rest quite cheaply. You would just need to clearly describe what you are offering as your basic price, and maybe an additional price for disposal of kit, extra to strip out and disposal of pipework+cable (might pay for itself in scrap value), additional price for removal of power supplies and making safe etc.

paddyaircon
27-09-2009, 08:31 PM
weigh copper in- drain compressor weigh the condensor in - reomve coil from indoor and weigh that in