PDA

View Full Version : Do you work alone?

graezybee
13-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone,

This is a career still in my mind - Air Con Engineer. I have no idea what I want to do, I am considering almost everything!

I think I would work better alone.

I have an image of just one guy per one van and doing their job themself. Is this correct?

Also, is the typical hours 9-5?
Ever any nightshift?

marc5180
13-09-2009, 07:05 PM
At my old firm i always worked with another person sometimes an apprentice.

However the firm i am at now 95% of the time i work alone.... sometimes even when carrying out installs:mad:

My hours of work are 8am-5pm. During winter months the firm doesn't have much overtime but the summer months can get very busy.....
At the minute there is so much overtime I haven't had a day off now for nearly 4 weeks working 12 hours a day sometimes more.

graezybee
13-09-2009, 07:12 PM
At my old firm i always worked with another person sometimes an apprentice.

However the firm i am at now 95% of the time i work alone.... sometimes even when carrying out installs:mad:

My hours of work are 8am-5pm. During winter months the firm doesn't have much overtime but the summer months can get very busy.....
At the minute there is so much overtime I haven't had a day off now for nearly 4 weeks working 12 hours a day sometimes more.

How often do you talk to your boss? Daily? Weekly?

marc5180
13-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I speak to the office at the end of each day to get my next job but don't speak to the boss often, sometimes twice a week, sometimes once a month.

At my old firm it was very different though. We used to have to go into the office first thing in a morning to get our jobs then when we were finished we had to go back to the office at night to report back- that and he didn't want us getting early finishes.

Plus he used to ring a few times a day to check up on us.

r0ss
14-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I think it depends on the type of job.

Installs / commissioning i usually get given a set of hands to help out. But fault finding / break downs i get sent out on my own.

I guess im pretty lucky with regards to hours of work. I usually start around 830am and finish at 330pm. I dont have to report to the office or anything like that and whilst i appreciate the freedom - i dont take it for granted and work my socks off.

Again with the night shift it depends on the type of job. My company has a contract with Halifax banks so we often install systems after their 5pm close time up until 2am. Havnt done any for a few months though given the financial climate :/

peteaddis
15-09-2009, 12:27 AM
vaies between companies. i am in partnership with someone so it is nice if we are on our own as it means we have plenty to do but sometimes its nice to have a bit of company!! Hours vary depending on weather.

guapo
15-09-2009, 04:25 AM
I work alone, from doing quotation to client, attend meetings,purchase of materials & equipment to installation of the unit, Hauling of equipment, TIG welding, Arc welding, Gas welding, up to commissioning including wiring of starter & control panel. Doing Invoice to client, colection up to spending money that I earn from my hard work.

barriehie
17-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey all, first post here! I work alone and see the boss once a week for pay and to turn in the money. I text when I'm done and am called with the next one. Memorial day to Labor day is 7:00 AM to whenever and after that is 8:00 AM to whenever. I totally work alone unless the job physically requires 2 people.

Barrie

acnerd
17-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Most days I work alone, unless more people are required. I speak to people at the office on a daily basis, but generally get left alone. No office politics, which is great!!