PDA

View Full Version : seawater heat pump

newf_frigie
13-09-2009, 02:58 PM
hi folks, am wondering if anyone can help me find case studies or vendors/manufacturers of larger tonnage semi hermetic screw heat pumps designed for extracting heat from sea water.

shooter
13-09-2009, 03:42 PM
i work for a reefershipping company and do all cooling with see water, other way around is possible same type of equipment, and capacities are about 1 MWatt on board.

newf_frigie
13-09-2009, 04:42 PM
that is one large system at 284 tons. wow. i wonder what who makes the system, and what the specs are on it.

shooter
13-09-2009, 05:22 PM
the makers are gea grenco, york inham, mayekawa mycom, sabroe york, stall and several others

HallsEngineer
13-09-2009, 09:31 PM
J&E Halls do it as do Grasso and York but it is very expensive for a large duty as plate packs are very expensive.Depends on what size you want.

US Iceman
14-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Any good manufacturer or consulting engineering group could help you with this. This is just an application problem, not one for the the specific components. The main issue is one of material compatibility with the materials used in the heat exchangers and the properties of sea water.

Once you solve that (and it should be fairly easy as this is nothing new) the remaining issues of heat load required will determine the compressor size, pump flow rate required, etc.

It's all straightforward engineering, nothing magical to it!

Magoo
14-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Barnicles, scaling, sediment. Is only half the problem. Do not, what ever consider a plate heat excahnger.
Fouling factors are horendous.
Go back to the Hall standard of admiratty brass shell and tube hx'S.
MAGOO

Tesla
14-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Magoo
What are you thoughts on titanium plate heat exchangers?

HallsEngineer
17-09-2009, 12:44 AM
We have just quoted a massive job in UAE with huge Titanium heat exchangers. Its all a matter of filtration. Of course this is on ammonia but use cuprinickle with *****s.

shooter
17-09-2009, 07:51 AM
the titanium needs good filtration because the sand is abbrasive to it.
on board a lot of heat exchangers are used with seawater , all types are present, like shell tube and plate. filtration is not done n ships (no room) however on land i would use a big pond to have the sediment out and maybe a filtration in series. The pond costs nothing and is a good filter.
Try to get the water as low as possible and upstream from the outlet. on board and in port we use starboard as intake and portside as outlet.