PDA

View Full Version : Raising GE side by side for ventilation?

sandcruiser
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I live in the tropics- its hot here.

I notice that the GE profile side by side fridge seems to draw air in through the rear, across the coils, throw it at the compressor and "hope" that it finds its way to the front and into the kitchen.

I'm thinking that if I were to raise the fridge an inch or two, it should allow the heat to escape more easily.

Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking of adding a small fan to help move more air across the compressor-- the compressor gets darn hot and I figure that any heat sent away from the fridge can only help, right?

Thanks.

ps: the wiring diagram shows an Aux fan that is optional and not installed in my system. Can anyone recommend where additional fans might help? the ambient temps in the kitchen are 35+ (C) or 90+ (F) most days.

SUBCOOLING
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
where in tropics i could do u a good deal on some daikin a/cs instaled cheap small call out fee:cool:

sandcruiser
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
thanks for the offer on the AC unit.
I'm in Costa Rica.

I have AC in the kitchen already. works nicely. But I prefer to leave it off when I am away from the house- which is when interior temps climb.

My first plan of attack is to raise the fridge a little and see if that works.

I'll also add an aux fan to back to blow directly on the compressor, which gets fairly hot. The extra airflow should also help evacuate heat from under the unit.

Someday, what I'd really like to do is move the compressor and the coils- mounting them remotely, outdoors, like a minisplit system.

But I would use a pro for that as it involves several meters of tubing, and requires evacuation/charging of the lines.