PDA

View Full Version : Domestic comp as air compressor

Reeferjon
10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Well, just got me a little air-brush, thing is I don't want to pay for a compressor.
Anyone ever or know anyone who has used a domestic compressor as an air compressor, if so...

Did you have any problems with oil/migratuion.
What sbout heat generated.

Thanks.

chemi-cool
10-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi Jon.

It will be useless to offer you a few [too far] but I use them for years as bicycle pumps, computer dust cleaning etc.

for air brush, you will need to add oil separator but water separator does the job just as good.
A 5 L receiver will do for air tank and LP will keep the pressure at your needs.
A1/3 HP from a fridge will do. Make sure you take one that runs on mineral oil and not POE.

good luck.

Chemi :)

Argus
10-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Not recommended for two reasons:

1. The oil in the sump will be lifted and dispersed with the discharge air. You won?t want fridge oil mixed in your work. Even if you separate it out, you will need to get it back to the sump.

2. These hermetic compressors are cooled by cold return gases in the refrigeration circuit. The suction intake will not be able to cool the motor windings ? it will not last long before overheating and probably burning out.

Most commercial compressors for this use utilise oiless compressors.
________
vaaapp vaporizer (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

Reeferjon
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks Guys.
Me thinks I will rip one out, stuff a tank and an oil trap on the end and see what transpires.
A piece of old cloth will do nicely to see what kind of discharge I get.
I fit works I will let you know, I did have my concerns about oil contaminating the paints etc.

chemi-cool
11-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Jon.

You can add a small oil filter, the kind used for air system after the tank to be sure of clean air.

All air compressors use oil as lubricant and some of it always mix with outlet air.

Oil-less compressors can be a problem cause you suck humid air and might have a rust problem.

Chemi :)

Peter_1
11-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Not recommended for two reasons:

I have a client - a farmer - who uses one now for more then 15 years!!! He's using it very often and it's working in conditions you only see in very dirty farms.
So.... it can work prefect.
Most small air compressor do have an oil sump.