PDA

View Full Version : please help me solve this problem

Maubi
10-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi all,
This is my first tread, so here goes: Could someone please help me solve this problem?
Maytag-JENN-AIR JRTE219B freezer/refrigerator only reads 29 and 49 degrees F. respectively.
The compressor was changed from a capacity of 1050 BTU/Hr to a lower one of 850 BTU/Hr.
Please explain how, if that could cause the freezer/refrigerator not to reach its working temperature of --10 F. and 39 F respectively. Would the evaporator/condenser sees this smaller compressor as the original with an insufficient charge?
Many Thanks in advance.
Best regards.

nike123
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Compressor is pump for refrigerant. Less capacity compressor mean less refrigerant in motion and therefore less heat removal.
Replacement compressor must be of same displacement (and motor power) as original one, if you don't want that refrigeration capacity drop down.

MIT
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
hi nike,

just want to ask, should be replacement be based on displacement and horsepower only? because sometimes the old compressor is higher than the new compressor in terms of horsepower (vice versa) but the capacity at certain evap temp and cond temp are almost the same just -/+ 10.

MIT

Yuri B.
10-09-2009, 05:58 PM
....sometimes the old compressor is higher than the new compressor in terms of horsepower (vice versa) but the capacity at certain evap temp and cond temp are almost the same just -/+ 10.

MIT

Hello. Today's compressor motors should have become more efficient - they can make the same displacement with less input power.

Maubi
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi nike123, MIT and Yuri B.,
Thank you all for your quick reply to my query. As a fast learner, I was wondering,
If the refrigerant in the 850 BTU/Hr compressor is enough to load the unit the whole cycle,
Or there will be part of the cycle when there would be a lack of fluid/gas as a result of the smaller 850 BTU/Hr.???

nike123
10-09-2009, 07:53 PM
hi nike,

just want to ask, should be replacement be based on displacement and horsepower only? because sometimes the old compressor is higher than the new compressor in terms of horsepower (vice versa) but the capacity at certain evap temp and cond temp are almost the same just -/+ 10.

MIT

I always choose compressor of same displacement and I select model for right application range (LT, MT, HT, AC). Power of compressor motor is not that critical in selection if your application range of replacement compressor is right.
Same displacement is crucial with capillary systems because capillary is not able to adapt itself to different refrigerant flow from compressor of different displacement.
Capacity will be same if displacement is same.

nike123
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi nike123, MIT and Yuri B.,
Thank you all for your quick reply to my query. As a fast learner, I was wondering,
If the refrigerant in the 850 BTU/Hr compressor is enough to load the unit the whole cycle,
Or there will be part of the cycle when there would be a lack of fluid/gas as a result of the smaller 850 BTU/Hr.???

No, it wont be lack of refrigerant in system, but circulated amount in time unit will be smaller and therefore smaller cooling capacity.

Maubi
10-09-2009, 09:56 PM
nike123 wrote:

No, it wont be lack of refrigerant in system, but circulated amount in time unit will be smaller and therefore smaller cooling capacity.

The original compressor is a Whirlpool AP4008608, but nowhere on the Internet could the specification of this unit be found. On further search shows that JRTE219B has a capacity of 21.1 cubic feet and a similar top freezer requires a minimum of 1050 BTU/Hr. I am attaching a photo of the original. The replacement is a Panasonic DA73C12RCU6 whose specs are openly available on the Internet.
The basic object of this exercise is to learn something new. Two weeks ago I was given this JRTE219B. Ever since then, I am on the Internet night and day studying refrigeration. I must say, it has been a lot of fun, more so, now that I have been in the company you gentlemen.
Thanks,
Maubi

MIT
11-09-2009, 01:39 AM
hi nike and yuri.

thanks for the info

Maubi
11-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Hi nike 123,
Thank you and RE for clearing up some loose ends I have had in my refrigeration studies.

Clean your refrigerator/freezer condenser from dust. If condenser is dirty, it is unable to reject heat well and that raise temperature of condensation. High condensation temperature mean less refrigeration capacity. Also, higher ambient temperature means higher heat ingress thru walls and air infiltration, and therefore longer or non stop-work of compressor, and cooling system with capacity which is smaller than current heat load.

Refrigerators are made for certain ambient temperature span and above or below that they are unable to perform satisfactory. You should check in your user manual at what temperature span your fridge is designed for and make sure that your ambient is within that limits, or change fridge/freezer for suitable one for your conditions.

If you have more questions start new tread
Compressor is pump for refrigerant. Less capacity compressor mean less refrigerant in motion and therefore less heat removal.
Replacement compressor must be of same displacement (and motor power) as original one, if you don't want that refrigeration capacity drop down.

I always choose compressor of same displacement and I select model for right application range (LT, MT, HT, AC). Power of compressor motor is not that critical in selection if your application range of replacement compressor is right.
Same displacement is crucial with capillary systems because capillary is not able to adapt itself to different refrigerant flow from compressor of different displacement.
Capacity will be same if displacement is same.

Today mark two weeks I was given this JRTE219B, I turned it on, the motor was hot and no cooling in the freezer. So, search on the Internet explained about cleaning the condenser, fan, evaporator which I did. Further search explained about cold air leaking out of the freezer and warm air entering the food compartment. The very first thing I found the channel mullion divider (which I had to move in order to access the evaporator) had rusted away a gap two inches long. That was a hole 1”by 2” that the evaporator fan was blowing cold air through into the room. The magnetic gasket for the food compartment door was not closing properly, there by letting in warm air into the fridge. After repairing the above, the freezer temperature dropped only to 29*F., now my attention was focused on the compressor size difference which you so kindly cleared up for me. I had learnt a lot in two weeks. I must figure out if it is worth replacing the compressor with one of the appropriate power. The JRTE219B is 25 years old.

nike123
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Today mark two weeks I was given this JRTE219B, I turned it on, the motor was hot and no cooling in the freezer. So, search on the Internet explained about cleaning the condenser, fan, evaporator which I did. Further search explained about cold air leaking out of the freezer and warm air entering the food compartment. The very first thing I found the channel mullion divider (which I had to move in order to access the evaporator) had rusted away a gap two inches long. That was a hole 1”by 2” that the evaporator fan was blowing cold air through into the room. The magnetic gasket for the food compartment door was not closing properly, there by letting in warm air into the fridge. After repairing the above, the freezer temperature dropped only to 29*F., now my attention was focused on the compressor size difference which you so kindly cleared up for me. I had learnt a lot in two weeks. I must figure out if it is worth replacing the compressor with one of the appropriate power. The JRTE219B is 25 years old.

Buy new one unless you are trying to make working exhibit for museum.;)
Not worth of repair!

mbc
11-09-2009, 08:17 AM
The compressor should be same But if is yours is higher than old one an dyou do not want to chage it just add more pipe (about 2 meter) to condenser and do not foeget to vacume it as much as you can before you charging gas on it.

jayryu
18-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Nevertheless the capacity of compressor was reduced somewhat compared to the original one, the new compressor works its capacitywise. It must be capillary tube system. If the compressor capacity has been changed, the length of capillary tube has to be adjusted accordingly. Without cap.tube adjusting it will not cool down enough or at all.

tonyelian
20-09-2009, 05:04 AM
hi maubi
ur compressor is embraco brazil try the web site

tonyelian
20-09-2009, 08:15 PM
hi
can u tell please whatis the ***** in that refrigerator it should b 12 for a refrigerato has 25 years old with a smaller capacity size of cappillary is too large &different gas it became a big problemmore info about the ***** &capillary size &length so we can help ur panasonic is 1/4hp&u need 1/3hp
in my opinion if u dont want to change the compressor make an extension 50 cm 0.036 add it for the old 1 i assume ur fridge will work better

vdsekhar
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I need info on quantity of refrigerants for any std airconditioner and refrigerators. Like what capcity and how much refrigerant charge required?Can some one help me on this please....

nike123
01-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I need info on quantity of refrigerants for any std airconditioner and refrigerators. Like what capcity and how much refrigerant charge required?Can some one help me on this please....
No one can help you with that in meaningful manner if you don't rephrase that question.
Quantity of refrigerant depend on construction. Since there is many millions of constructions, there is also many millions of quantities.

unicorn77
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
dear friend, if you change the compressor capacity.. you also need to change the condenser, and evaperator also..