PDA

View Full Version : flare spanners?

mork
08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
hi guys, just joined! searching high and low for refrigeration flare spanners from suppliers here in oz, but with no luck. had a few old boys tell me nobody makes them anymore, but find that hard to believe. the only type i can find are measured "across the flat" (ie. the gap in the jaws is 1/4", 3/8",1/2" etc and NOT for a 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" flare nut!). even the torque wrench kits with interchangeable heads have changed to an "open end spanner" type... any thoughts?

paul_h
08-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah you have to add an extra 1/2" onto AF sizes to suit a flare nut if I remember correctly (maybe 1/4" or 3/8" :D ).
I found the same problem as you when trying to buy some, oh well, they are at least handy for automotive brake lines, they are done up real tight and very easy to round ;).

I don't think anyone uses flare spanners anymore to be honest. Flare's aren't really torqued up hard enough for rounding the nut to be an issue, better to have an open end torque wrench than a flare spanner that you can over tighten with.

nike123
08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
hi guys, just joined! searching high and low for refrigeration flare spanners from suppliers here in oz, but with no luck. had a few old boys tell me nobody makes them anymore, but find that hard to believe. the only type i can find are measured "across the flat" (ie. the gap in the jaws is 1/4", 3/8",1/2" etc and NOT for a 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" flare nut!). even the torque wrench kits with interchangeable heads have changed to an "open end spanner" type... any thoughts?

Here you could see what are "across flat" measurements spanners for common flare nuts:

Gwyn
20-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Keep looking :) as I could never do the job without my set. 30 years on and still going strong. brilliant on TEV's etc.

Gwyn
20-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Coming over to your country in November again so find a supplier and i could bring them with me.(Don't tell the other half. :)

Magoo
20-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Sidchrome OZ do a range of metric and imperial flare spanners, or at least the used to for auto trade.

taz24
23-09-2009, 08:53 AM

They are not as common now because the flare nuts are not a standard size, like they used to be.

Flare spaners only work on the correct sized nut but different manufactures sell different sized nuts nowadays.

taz.

wandowski
23-09-2009, 05:22 PM
i used a set last week at college and i liked the way they work,no slipping with the adjustables or rounding the flare nuts off

chemi-cool
23-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Swedish BAHCO is a fine tools manufacturer.

I have 4 adjustable wreches over 25 years up to 60mm.

Better than any spanner.

www.bahco.com

fazzamouse
23-09-2009, 07:39 PM
you have to use them on the fgas course so i believe

wandowski
23-09-2009, 08:20 PM
all my adjustables are bahco,4 inch upto 12inch,even a couple of wide jaws in 4 inch which are handy!!also have some cheapies but then you need them for 3/4 flare nuts