PDA

View Full Version : Real Basics...

Greenbeast
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm not a RE, just someone looking to maximise efficiency in a couple of home appliances.

I've scoured the internet but cannot find enough suitable information. I'm hoping some kind souls here can help me.

1) Would adding fans to the condenser fins on the back of a freezer help, and if so how?

My first thoughts would be that the extra airflow would cool the refrigerant better and thus the compressor would be on for less time, but i could be completely missing how the system functions.

2) Is it fine to add extra insulation as long as i seal it against the main body of the appliance to stop moisture ingress?

3) What are the down sides of changing a chest freezer thermostat for a refrigerator thermostat and running it as a chest fridge?

I greatly appreciate any help

1mikeefc1
08-09-2009, 04:34 PM
if you add fins to the condenser you could cause over condensing and you will have trouble getting a good load for the comp to run. freezers use different refrigerant gas than fridges so would be wary of using at a fridge if its designed as a freezer. the insulation on a fridge shouldn't need to betouched once insulation damage occurs i would replace the cabinet in question for efficiency and health and safety reasons. hope this helps.

acnerd
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm not a RE, just someone looking to maximise efficiency in a couple of home appliances.

I've scoured the internet but cannot find enough suitable information. I'm hoping some kind souls here can help me.

1) Would adding fans to the condenser fins on the back of a freezer help, and if so how?

My first thoughts would be that the extra airflow would cool the refrigerant better and thus the compressor would be on for less time, but i could be completely missing how the system functions.

2) Is it fine to add extra insulation as long as i seal it against the main body of the appliance to stop moisture ingress?

3) What are the down sides of changing a chest freezer thermostat for a refrigerator thermostat and running it as a chest fridge?

I greatly appreciate any help

1) Adding fans to increase airflow over the condenser will cause problems with efficiency. The systems are designed to deal with heat loads as they are. If it is a natural convection condenser, just wipe the surfaces with a damp cloth occassionally; if forced air, make sure the heat exchanger stays clear.

2) I am puzzled on this question? Moisture ingress would only occur when you open the door. If you find that the outside surfaces of the fridge are wet, you may find the insulation between the metal and plastic inner and outer shell is breaking down. On very hot days you may have condensation on the outer surface. I don't suppose additional insulation would hurt; better to make sure the magnetic door seal is ok and seals properly.

3) As for the answer on this one, not sure. As Mikee mentioned, they can run on different refrigerants ..... I don't see why not, but you would have to watch the cycle time of the compressor and make sure it doesn't overheat.

I am sure the clever technical blokes will correct me if I'm wrong!! ;)

Greenbeast
08-09-2009, 05:30 PM
when i mention adding insulation, i mean extra insulation, on top of the existing body.

acnerd
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
when i mention adding insulation, i mean extra insulation, on top of the existing body.

The thickness and type of material used is designed for insulating the interior from the exterior to operate at that design temperature. It's a complicated formula for Thermal Inductance. Additional insulation would have no effect.

Greenbeast
08-09-2009, 06:58 PM
surely if you increase insulation then less heat gets in and it needs less power to cool?

RANGER1
08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Some freezers have the condenser wrapped around the shell of the freezer so its hidden and you can't see it .

The outside of freezer can get warm because of this when it is running .
In this case you can only insulate the lid .

The coil at the back if it has one could be oil cooler for compressor .

Tesla
08-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Your best bet (bang for your buck) would be to ensur adiquate ventilation around the condenser and if there are no internal condenser or oil cooling pipes you could insulate the box, minimise opening door times. You would save a lot more on other appliances like the water heater storage tank by insulating it and adding a timer on the heater - you dont need to heat water for 1oclock in the morning etc. And the drier - vent that moist air outside, it costs a lot more to heat moist air than dry air. Open windows and curtains in the morning to dry out and reduce mould, close windows at midday and curtains when no sun on windows to heat house for nighttime. Seal up nooks and crannys where the unwanted heat or cold enters.

Frikkie
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm not a fridge man so this might be a housewife tale but my daughter puts all her empty tuppaware containers with th lids on in her fridge at home to fill all the spaces and the empty shelves when it's not full of food. She says the idea is to stop all the cold air falling out when the door is opened because it is trapped inside the containers.

I'm not sure that this will make a big difference to efficiency or power consumption but I liked the idea anyway and it is better than always looking for the lids in the cupboard. Maybe the experts will laugh at this, I don't know.

acnerd
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm not a fridge man so this might be a housewife tale but my daughter puts all her empty tuppaware containers with th lids on in her fridge at home to fill all the spaces and the empty shelves when it's not full of food. She says the idea is to stop all the cold air falling out when the door is opened because it is trapped inside the containers.

I'm not sure that this will make a big difference to efficiency or power consumption but I liked the idea anyway and it is better than always looking for the lids in the cupboard. Maybe the experts will laugh at this, I don't know.

My parents read me an article in the newspaper that suggested screwing up newspaper and blocking up all the empty spaces in the freezer to help save energy consumption ..... there may be method in madness!!

acnerd
08-09-2009, 11:01 PM
surely if you increase insulation then less heat gets in and it needs less power to cool?

As Ranger1 has mentioned, the chest freezers have the condenser coil wrapped around the box within the insulation, which means you can't put extra insulation on.

In any event, doubling up on the insulation thickness will have no noticeable effect. The act of opening and closing the door to get something out will negate any fancy insulation.

Frikkie
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Hello Acnerd,

I don't think it would be effective for a chest freezer because the cold air will stay anyways inside when you lift the lid, maybe for a upright freezer it could also work but like I say I don't know if it will make a big difference.

acnerd
08-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Hello Frikkie, that's exactly what my Dad said to me!! :D

Greenbeast
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
This freezer has the condenser at the back, the sides are cold.

Thanks for your input everyone

Fett
10-09-2009, 01:31 AM
You can turn that little nob that says 123456, to like 4 and the unit will run less!

Brilliant!

I know this isn't a fridge or a freezer, but I took old blankets, the top blankets like what you have on your bed. The bug fluffy ones. I went up in the attic of my moms house and wrapped all the ductwork (all the ductwork in her house is sheet metal and not flex) with those blankets and used duct tape to fasten them down tight. I know most ductwork is internally insulated but those old blankets did pretty good and my moms house is always like an ice box. I tell friends of mine to go to thrift shops and get old blankets just for that.
I have found nice big king and queen sized blankets that are not in to bad of condition for like a dollar at goodwill and other thrift stores. I suppose alot of you live in Europe ect... and are like this bloody american.

-Fett

nike123
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
You can turn that little nob that says 123456, to like 4 and the unit will run less!

Brilliant!

I know this isn't a fridge or a freezer, but I took old blankets, the top blankets like what you have on your bed. The bug fluffy ones. I went up in the attic of my moms house and wrapped all the ductwork (all the ductwork in her house is sheet metal and not flex) with those blankets and used duct tape to fasten them down tight. I know most ductwork is internally insulated but those old blankets did pretty good and my moms house is always like an ice box. I tell friends of mine to go to thrift shops and get old blankets just for that.
I have found nice big king and queen sized blankets that are not in to bad of condition for like a dollar at goodwill and other thrift stores. I suppose alot of you live in Europe ect... and are like this bloody american.

-Fett

And what if, for some reasons, those blankets catch fire? Do you think then that is brilliant idea.:D

Not to tell about that these blankets are perfect nests for pests.;)

Ementyhet
16-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Hey guys, We are trying to get my dad more into the game and I need any DVDs that you know of that will educate him on the BASICS of baseball. Just list any that you know of or have. Thanks

marc5180
16-10-2009, 10:06 PM
You do know this is a refrigeration site not a baseball site don't you.

http://tinyurl.com/yjtfk6e

Brian_UK
16-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Good catch Marc ;)

marc5180
17-10-2009, 09:32 AM
You taught me well:D