PDA

View Full Version : Another Fridge not reaching temp

sali2612
07-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I have a built in fridge/freezer, the fridge which over times stops working. Ive sepnt some time reading through articles on this site and have deduced thatit is due to a build up of ice in the radiator at the back of the freezer. im assuming this stops the flow of cold air to the firdge.

Anyway once i defrost it manually it works for about 4-6 weeks then again freezes up. so i figure its a problem with the defrost cycle. Ive been told by a local engineer its probaly a faulty PCB which he can bypass so that the heater comes on everytime the fridge 'knocks off'. He wants £75 for it, is this a good idea?

The price also seems a little high to me? for what seems like a relativly simple job, or am i missing something?

spimps
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Make and model's are helpful.
Any checks carried out with meters,ie defrost heater's etc.
Would be better to establish exactly what component is causing the problem and replace the part.
They are designed to defrost 4 or 5 times approx in 24 hours, usually thats all it needs.if the freezer is also pushing cold air up to the fridge changing the way it works may compromise fridge temps.

sali2612
08-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Not sure of make and Model as its one of them built in ones and there is no logo's anywhere.

No doubt it would no doubt be best practice to replce the faulty part, however the engineer has suggested bypassing the pcb. Is anyone familier with this procedure?

spimps
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Remove salad draws there is probably a label on the side.
By passing a pcb IMO is not a normal practice,still learning though after 40 years,would be safety issues with heater coming on every time it switched off,plus you will use more energy if it's heating up to defrost every time it switches off the compressor then has to cool it all down again,plus would it compromise the storage temperature of the freezer?sounds likely IMO.
If there is no model number then it's not likely to bring a decent response,too many if's and buts .

sali2612
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Right model number from instructions booklet APM6855 a bit of googling shows that the manufacturer is Diplomat, further googleing has bought me to this site

fixed4free.com/answers.php?id=113198

it looks like there are alot of people out there with the same problem on the same model

keepmecool
14-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi sali2612

i think very likely that the defrost heater which does the defrost might not be working at all and that must be proven by the engineer who wants to do a modification just so you are sure it is working, because if it is not, then it might or might not be a big deal depending if the defrost heater is foamed in or can be accessed and replaced.

michael

Bachuss
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
This modle (AMP6855) is probably made by some company in Tiwan as I have seen it with the Sheiber, MFI and now Diplomat. This problem is apperently Very common and from what I can assertain it is due to bad design rather than any fault.

Has anyone managed to find technical data in the PCB or other electrical drawings that they would be willing to share?