PDA

View Full Version : smelly a/c

jan behnke
07-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi can any one help
Have a problem with four Dakin cassettes in a perfume store, I have given up counting how many time’s I have cleaned the coil to remove the smell of a old compost and have used tones of lime smelly jelly’s but can not get rid of the smell as it comes back after a week is there any thing out there that any one has used to cure this problem.
Thanks
:(

eggs
07-10-2004, 08:59 AM
You need to clean out the condensate tray as well.
Disinfect it to get rid of the smelly,slimey build up.
If the problem is in your drain pipe, the next thing to try is a U-bend.(if you have a gravity drain)

hope this helps
cheers

eggs

chemi-cool
07-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Jan.

Had once a similar problem with a mini split indoor coil.
I even used vanilla extract trying to get the smell out but no luck.

I took off the coil, had sprayed with special epoxy paint, changed the drain pan to SS one and its OK now.

Check with spirit level that its not holding any water in the tray.
Where are the drain pipes going to?
I hope not to sewerage system of the house as this can pull in odours of old compost if there is no U trap full of water.

Chemi :)

Argus
07-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I?ve had some experience of your problem in the past and it's not particularly rare. The cause is a build up of organisms in the coil and tray assembly. They can range from a slight smell to a severe stink and be intermittent when they occur.

In fact, I think you have two problems:
The first is the build up of matter in the coils causing the smells and obviously not responding to your treatment.
The second is persuading your client that they have a hygiene problem that is not your fault, theirs or the units.

The proprietary cleaners you are using are obviously having no effect. This is not surprising because the general purpose cleaning chemicals in free circulation are usually very mild and no match for a chronic infestation of bacteria. Even domestic disinfectants will not eradicate a severe infestaion.

Consider the facts.

You have a fertile nursery for microscopic organisms ? the evaporator.
You have at least two local sources of organisms ? the shop that is probably full of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) given off from the cosmetics and the locality that will be rich in whatever else thrives in the vicinity.

The smell is the decomposition of the organisms when you make the transition to heating and happens with all sorts of A/C systems. You may even get it in your car, as I did once.

Generally, units that are prone to it tend to suffer for life. Other units are never affected. There appears to be no reason to it.

An analysis of matter from the units will indicate the ****tail of wild organisms present, yeasts, pseudomonas, bacteria and other organic matter. If the units are close to a busy road with an open door you will also have diesel particulates that are a source of nutrition for these things.

May I suggest that you commission a biologist?s report on exactly what is growing in the coil? He will take samples from the evaporators, drain tray and most importantly an air sample from the vicinity. This will tell you exactly what is growing there and how to control it. Don?t assume that all the units will have the same stuff growing? different colonies can thrive in adjacent units.

Don?t baulk at the cost?. The results will surprise you and your client and be worth it.

The alternative is for the client to put up with the smell and you to put up with the compliants.

Hope this helps
________
Lexus IS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Lexus_IS)

Gary
07-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that after you use a coil cleaner, the coil must be thoroughly rinsed, or the cleaner residue will cause an odor.

RIZZLA
07-10-2004, 07:50 PM
hi jan

r u working for mr kj

riz from n.devon

jan behnke
07-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Yes working for dear old Kev

rbartlett
07-10-2004, 09:42 PM
i remember a few yrs ago we installed a couple of mitsi wall mounts into a jewellers in bath

after a while the rooms started to stink..we tried everything and eventually found that it was an old perfumery and the 'smell' was coming out of the walls

I think we got some 5mm activated carbon filter sheet and would cut them to fit and change the regular..

cheers

richard

jan behnke
08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the tips, I think they will have to bit the bullet and have the coils checked out to see what’s growing in there, some time’s it smell like cat’s pxxx not very good for a perfume shop.

Peter_1
09-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Isn't this something for you

http://www.dehon.com/gb/index_gb.php?menu=prod&idm=&deroul=5&action=3&idn3=13

and

http://www.dehon.com/gb/index_gb.php?menu=prod&deroul=5&idm=&action=3&idn3=15

We use it in situations where other fails.

jan behnke
09-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks that's the make of coil cleaner we use frionett

Gary
09-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, I was just thinking, using activated carbon filters for the odour if all else fails.

I haven't tested this, but I've been told that feminine deodorant spray works best of all.

chemi-cool
09-10-2004, 12:55 PM
It might be a good solution Gary but then even women have to use it once in 24 hours. :D

Chemi :)

rbartlett
09-10-2004, 01:07 PM
we were told by the manufacturers that dettox is their spray of choice

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/itm_groups.asp?AFF=LYCFTP&SBCAT=522&CAT=343

cheers

richard

Coolie
10-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Hey there

Have You tried a stay clean kit?
These are available from most Dealers. It is an anti-bacterial solution that you spray onto the coil after cleaning it with the cleaner provided. Then once the coil and drain pan are clean there is an anti-bacterial sponge that you leave in the drain pan which prevents further bacteria from growing! I've used it a few times and the results were surprising!!
Probably worth trying out before going to the expense of a biologist.

jan behnke
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
We have used that in the past. lasted about 6 weeks

rbartlett
10-10-2004, 06:26 PM
the problem is not the bacteria growing on the coils it's that a/c reacts really badly with prefume..

try the A.carbon filters cut to fit the existing

I will ask my ex partner if he can remember anything further which might help

the jewellers in question....

http://www.nicholaswylde.com/

cheers

richard

flyjake
12-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Do not forget to check and see if you're getting condensation in the duct somewhere. I have had this problem result in many hours of headaches.

shogun7
12-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Perfumes contain ethanol, alcohal and in almost every case where fungi were present, the major VOCs found were acetone, ethanol, and isopropanol. In certain instances, these compounds were such major components of the evolved gases that they overloaded the chromatographic systems in the instrumentation, and interfered with the detection of other VOCs. So with a relatively hi humidty the compounds could leach out and build up in the pan. Bakeing soda may be a solution or carbon filters