PDA

View Full Version : High RPM = Bad for Compressor?

Z2TT
06-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Hello,

My car has a Denso Wobble plate type compressor with 5 Pistons.

1. Accelerating while having the A/C on, will this put a lot of strain on the compressor and cause it to fail quickly?

2. What about turning the A/C on while the engine is operating at high RPM, as in while accelerating I push the a/c switch, Will this cause the Clutch to burn out as it engages or cause damage to the pistons or wobble plate?

Thanks.

bruisermac
07-09-2009, 02:29 AM
how high are you talking...like 9000 rpm? otherwise you'll be fine unless ur car has about 600 hp

tbirdtbird
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
These issues are all engineered into automotive A/C, don't worry about it.

Z2TT
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
6000 - 7000 RPM.

I think if the clutch momentarily engages at this speed it's sure to shred to bits, and my car doesn't have any cut off based on RPM or that prevents the clutch engaging at high rpm.

My car has very short gearing and a 4.5 diff ratio, so your always revving pretty high to get decent acceleration, and all of the models like mine that I have seen had failed a/c compressors, so I thought this would be a reason why, the a/c clutch engaging at high rpm and compressor being driven at high rpm.

RANGER1
07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Maybe you should get a rotary compressor like your engine or wind down your window instead .

tbirdtbird
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
600-7000 rpm doesn't sound like a production vehicle else you'd shred the engine too. Sounds like a racing application. The clutch is magnetic so there is nothing to shred. But the comp prob can't take that kind of rpm.

Drive it from a smaller pulley? Google rev limiters and get this etc
http://www.zdyne.com/alterhome.html

Also look at Vintage Air in Texas they make very high quality AC for performance and non-performance applications:
http://www.vintageair.com/

tbirdtbird
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
What vehicle is this?

Z2TT
07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
It's a 1987 Toyota Soarer GZ20.

abbsnowman
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
What high rpm will do to a compressor is cause low suction pressure. Likely the system will run in a Vac. or negative pressure. This is what kills compressors. They will push the oil out via the discharge and pull in air and moisture through the shaft seal.

tbirdtbird
08-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Evidently a Soarer is a rebadged Lexus. My sources tell me that computer should kill the ac comp at WOT

Z2TT
09-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Evidently a Soarer is a rebadged Lexus. My sources tell me that computer should kill the ac comp at WOT

The z30 soarers were either released as a Toyota Soarer or a Lexus SC300/400.

But the z20 soarers were only badged as Toyota, and mine is a z20 soarer not a z30.

Sandro Baptista
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Hello,

My car has a Denso Wobble plate type compressor with 5 Pistons.

1. Accelerating while having the A/C on, will this put a lot of strain on the compressor and cause it to fail quickly?

2. What about turning the A/C on while the engine is operating at high RPM, as in while accelerating I push the a/c switch, Will this cause the Clutch to burn out as it engages or cause damage to the pistons or wobble plate?

Thanks.

Z2TT
Curiously I also already have thought about that.

Every time I want to switch on the AC when the car is running I push on the clutch pedal so the motor can down to the 700 rpm, then I turn the AC on and so it's less bad to the compressors and to the compressor's belt.

Regards

Z2TT
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Z2TT
Curiously I also already have thought about that.

Every time I want to switch on the AC when the car is running I push on the clutch pedal so the motor can down to the 700 rpm, then I turn the AC on and so it's less bad to the compressors and to the compressor's belt.

Regards

I'm not worried for the compressors belt, I'm worried for the internals.

The other problem would be when the compressor is cylcing on and off when the A/C is on. So while your accelerating you might have it kick in just at that time.