PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint 8596 Freezer temperature

Nick Terry
04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi,
Freezer temp -15, fridge +20ish.
The compressor/fan are running but the temperature does not get any colder. I've had to replace the thermistors on this machine in the past and fix the problem with the top door dropping and leaving the light on in the fridge but neither of these things seem to be the problem this time.

If the compressor really is running full time (though it will go through the defrost cycle every 10 hours of runtime) what would stop the freezer temperature from dropping further? Am I looking at a compressor fault or a regas?

The machine is 10 years old. And when its working its fine. Given the problems I have had in the past I'm reluctant to bin it as up until now I've eventually fixed it.

Any advice appreciated.
Nick

Nick Terry
13-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I got to the bottom of this. There was an intermittent dry joint on the power connector on the control module that provides power to the circulation fan. This meant that the fridge was not being cooled even though all the control logic was doing the right thing. I remade the joint and all is now well.

I didnt figure out why the temperature stopped falling when the compressor was running continuously. I guess there is a limit to how cold any refrigeration unit can get, may be it had just reached that limit.