PDA

View Full Version : contactors

SkyWalker
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
when you guys change a compressor or fan motor which are controlled via a contactor, would you consider it standard practice to change the contactor also?

frank
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
On 3 phase compressors, we always change the contactor as well.

On single phase compressors we always change capacitor/s as well.

chemi-cool
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
And the over-load motor protection.

Pingo
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
when you guys change a compressor or fan motor which are controlled via a contactor, would you consider it standard practice to change the contactor also?

Always replace for the compressor but not so often for the fan motors.

For a compressor replacement the contactor and overload if fitted

bob

coolhibby1875
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
standard practice.

tony--1
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
yes all the time cost to much if the comp goes down again because ov a contactor and overload. not good to leave the old one on .

Brian_UK
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I was going to add - "Every time" but I think that it may be taken as overkill, so I won't. ;)

Frikkie
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
If there is overload protectors fitted why is it always you replace contactors? This sounds like it should not be necessary.

acnerd
04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I replace whenever possible.

Frikkie, I agree that the overload protects the compressor, but every time the contacts make and break, they spark/arc very slightly and will eventually wear out anyway.
So change the contactor to eliminate the possibility of contactor failure. With overload connected, the system will still fail, just not the compressor, but the contactor.... you still sit with a broken system!! ;)

multisync
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
We rarely do. I can't remember one which has bit us on the bum... In all honesty 9 times out of 10 it's unnecessary. Contactors are made of a squillion make/breaks.

That extra 100 quid can easily make you uncompetitive.

Those who change them are never wrong, those who seldom change them are very seldom wrong. You pay's your money etc...

chemi-cool
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
We rarely do

You maybe right. It depends on the motor size and contactor make.

When contactor de energize, if there is any problem in the windings, there is a big spark inside that burns the contact points. If the problem is only in one phase, than only one contact will burn making it hard to deliver the right amps to the new compressor.

The same thing with over load protectors.

We can discuss it over a pint of bitter after September 27th....;)

multisync
04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
You maybe right. It depends on the motor size and contactor make.

When contactor de energize, if there is any problem in the windings, there is a big spark inside that burns the contact points. If the problem is only in one phase, than only one contact will burn making it hard to deliver the right amps to the new compressor.

The same thing with over load protectors.

We can discuss it over a pint of bitter after September 27th....;)

Ah so we are getting dates together - is anyone else up for this ??:cool: