PDA

View Full Version : Changing length of the evaporating coil

wcam3
31-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Dear members,
I am upgrading my existing cooling unit. Presently the unit has 750 BTU compressor, which I am increasing to 3600 BTU. The evaporating coil is presently of SS, 5/16" (8 mm) dia.
Coil length is 8 metres
Evaporating coil temperature is -7 degrees
The ambient temperature is around 40 degrees
The condensing temperature is around 55 degrees

Please suggest by how many times I have to increase the length of the evaporator coil to match the new compressor rating.
If any one can suggest the method to calculate the length of the evaporator coil based on these parameters, I would be highly obliged

Thanks and regards
Giridhar

PS: The present design is working perfectly.

Brian_UK
31-08-2009, 11:13 PM
PS: The present design is working perfectly.
So why the change ?

desA
01-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree with Brian. Why not rather install a new system in parallel with the existing, perfectly-functioning system? Surely this is a lot less risky?

wcam3
01-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree with Brian. Why not rather install a new system in parallel with the existing, perfectly-functioning system? Surely this is a lot less risky?
There is a space constraint to put a parallel system. I plan to replace the present compressor with the new one.

Thanks

Brian_UK
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I repeat the question, why?

nike123
02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
There is a space constraint to put a parallel system. I plan to replace the present compressor with the new one.

Thanks

You cannot replace compressor and evaporator only. You need to match every component of system, therefore you cannot done that by changing parts of system. Especially not by 5 times increase in capacity!:eek:
Forget about that!

RefrigNoob
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
As per above...
You need to change the following:
Compressor
Condenser
Evaporator
Condenser fans
Evap fans
All piping
All valves
Distributor
Expansion valve
Liquid receiver
Suction accumulator

oldtimer
20-05-2010, 09:23 PM
i also strongly recomend changing electrical cables so you dont overload the one you have

lana
22-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Hi there,

Everything said perfectly by others.
Increasing compressor power means increasing everything else like mentioned above.
I suggest you think again before making such changes.
Cheers