PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go on call.

Latte
28-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Having been on call this week and as per usual no call out come in near home i was wondering how far you all go on callouts. I am sure the distances involved with UK engineers is nothing compared to US enginners but would just like to get a comparasson.

i live in Newmarket and have to go on call up to Nottingham/Sheffield/Doncaster area. About 150mile 3 hours each way. Don't get me wrong i am not complaining, sitting in the van listening to radio 2 ( I think i am old enough to be classed as a TOG now) and being paid for it, you can't beat it.

Would like to hear how far others reguallly go in your'e everyday work.

Regards

Raymond.

For all you who don't know what a TOG is or listen to Radio 1 :eek: all day long check out either

www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wogan
www.togs.org/

Reeferjon
07-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Depends on who's shouting, me I can do 3-400ish some days if I get dropped in it.
The mobile guys? they try to stick to thier service areas but I regulaly used to get called out with 1-1/2 hour travel each way.
These days now people are not so eager to do call-out I would say that the distances have increased but the call-out rate has dropped (but we won't go into that one :mad: )

RIZZLA
07-10-2004, 07:42 PM
hi all

with my last job I travelled from devon to kent aldershot high-wycombe.high mileage not healthy and you end up speeding.now have tracker with new job and it does make you enjoy your travel time more, especially on sundays

cheers riz

reeferjon does mr warren still run your stores

jan behnke
07-10-2004, 08:18 PM
The worst call I had was about 15 years ago I started from my office in bicester went to gates head then Glasgow then back home to aylesbury in bucks

Reeferjon
08-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Mr Warren?

dunty
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
my area is central london,but it can still take a couple of hours to get a couple of miles.haha

Steve
09-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Jan, I live in the Bicester Area and was intrested in what company you used to work for round here ?

typ
10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi
How about Newbury Berks To Glasgow to tighted a waterbowl drain on a leak detection unit. Did fly up there Business class cost customer a fortune

Coolie
20-10-2004, 05:52 PM
An ex-collegue of mine had to drive to Glascow from Colchester (after work) only to find the isolator turned off.
He was furious, but he got the next couple of days off.

frank
20-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Got to go to Crawley tomorrow just to change a cond pump tube (under warranty so no cost to the customer) :o

After hearing about all the traffic on the M1 etc today I'm not looking forward to it

matt.yelland
07-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I did a couple of trips do from essex to wales, wales to birmingham, then back home..... The bad news was that I was a ppm engineer at the time for c & r on a rather poor salary....

mad fridgie
07-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Try doing work on fishing boats.
Fly to the nearest airport, jump into a chopper, if you are lucky, or more common, then drive to a port nearest airport, hire out fast launch, steam out to sea to meet up with the ship.

coolhandlew
08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I live on the isle of man, it's impossible to drive more than 15 miles without falling into the sea.

craigpcg
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
We cover the whole of Scotland plus the north of england.

Can be a good thing somethimes, when u just sit in the van all day doinig nowt but its a pain as well.

I think there are alot of engineers who dont want to work outside the area which is a reall pain sometimes. Then you get engineers like myself who will go anywere for anytime