PDA

View Full Version : High suction and liquid pressures

bth0mas20
28-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I looked at a residential heat pump that would run for 10 mins and start to blow semi cold air with the pressures maintaining 70 low and 225 high. After 15 mins both low and high pressures would increase together until the unit goes out on high pressure.

I asked the home owner if anyone has added ref and he said not in the last 3 years.

This unit is 17 yrs old. Im thinking theirs an obstruction in the system or the valves on the compressor are defective. What do you think I should check?

Gary
28-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Clean the coils.

bth0mas20
28-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I cleaned the evap coil. I could clean it again. I didnt clean the cond because it didnt look dirty. Thier is about 10% of the cooling fins bent over but its been like that for the 3 years he has lived thier and it worked fine.

Gary
28-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I cleaned the evap coil. I could clean it again. I didnt clean the cond because it didnt look dirty. Thier is about 10% of the cooling fins bent over but its been like that for the 3 years he has lived thier and it worked fine.

Clean the condenser coil and make sure the fan is operating properly (turning in the right direction, blades clean, not recirculating hot discharge air, etc.)... and straighten the fins. The condenser needs all the airflow it can get.

marc5180
28-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I didnt clean the cond because it didnt look dirty. Thier is about 10% of the cooling fins bent over but its been like that for the 3 years he has lived thier and it worked fine.

Just because it looked clean doesn't mean it is clean.
If it was a blockage you wouldn't have high suction pressure.
It does sound like an airflow fault or overcharge from the limited information you have given.