PDA

View Full Version : Thermoking is an over complicated POS

bigdan
28-08-2009, 11:02 AM
In my 20 yrs in the trade my biggest complaint next to cheapskate employers has always been working on over-engineered equipment. The OEM engineers always try to cram to many components into a too small platform that half of said components aren't accessible unless you have hands the size of a child.

Sorry about the rant but I can't believe I'm the only one who feels this way.

I always laugh when I read through an OEM manual's troubleshooting guide and they want you test some vital component that is buried deep in the equipment somewhere. It's barely visible let alone serviceable.

desA
28-08-2009, 12:04 PM
The art of a good designer is a simple, cost-effective, easily-maintainable system.

Any idiot can build systems.

bruisermac
29-08-2009, 06:04 AM
thats the TK for you...wait until you get into guard and super gusrd access...

abbsnowman
29-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Thats why you make the big bucks Dan!

The Fox
30-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Dan chill, have you looked under the hood of a modern car lately??. not a lot of space.

cebunting
31-08-2009, 02:04 AM
and they are getting better by the day, the old TLE remote evaps. are no fun to do anything on, but the newer spectrum remotes are a dream.... i think they hired some Japanese engineers up there in Minnesota

whiteair
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi BigDan,

I have recently retired from the industry after 30 years in transport refrigeration, laterley processing warranty claims for the UK's largest TK dealership. I cannot think of repair which was possible to be carried out within TK's guidlines. This was always a hot topic at Service Managers Conferences, but the labour times are set by the manufacturer working on new units, probably at floor level, and not one that has spent time slung under a truck chassis or on the front of a trailer for a year or more. I know what you mean though, get stuck in!

Al

m_l_ca
03-09-2009, 05:47 AM
I worked on TK units (mostly super 2) for four years. 1800 in the fleet. The TK's are like anything else, one you work on them and get conferable with them, you find your ways and get quick with them.

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
In my 20 yrs in the trade my biggest complaint next to cheapskate employers has always been working on over-engineered equipment. The OEM engineers always try to cram to many components into a too small platform that half of said components aren't accessible unless you have hands the size of a child.

Sorry about the rant but I can't believe I'm the only one who feels this way.

I always laugh when I read through an OEM manual's troubleshooting guide and they want you test some vital component that is buried deep in the equipment somewhere. It's barely visible let alone serviceable.

Dan,

It would appear that you dont have an issue with equipment technology but rather accessing it. judging by your avatar that this is you and if this is the case, I also would have difficulties of accessing components to diagnose even the simple ones that are out in the open.

When I started in this profession I was a big dude in which I had to stop powerlifting so my arms and hands would not fit in some of those tough to reach places. The trade off for me was either continue doing my hobby as a powerlifter which did not make me money or stop this lifestyle and diet to drop weight so I could service units easily those tight spots.

Keep in mind these units have to be built so that they can have huge capacity and versatility and at the same time bolt on a truck or trailer with dimensions to travel on public roads.

A-Z