PDA

View Full Version : copper infection?

majo
27-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Last I've had a client running his 2008 altherma in cooling mode. The thing went fine until last week, suddenly wasn't able to reach watertemps lover than 19°C.
Went over there, SH 22°!!!
Reclaimed refrigerant -> 0,9kg instead of the stock filled 3,7kg!

Pressure tested the unit and found a leak in the 5/8" suction line about 40cm away from the indoor unit.
It was a quite large hole in a bent with a radius of about 20cm (slow), nothing special...

I'm a bit shocked that this could happen to a copper line installed about 1 yr ago!?!

Did anyone come across this? I'm standing a little negative regarding the copper used and I'm wondering what brand of insulated copper you guys often use?

Are the twin tubes from armaflex, inoac, ...any good or did someone had a problem like this with any of these?

kind regards :p

HTSEngineering
27-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Seen it happen in a fridge I purchased, thinking they used Chinese copper. Had a problem with a leak turns out it was a straight piece going from the compressor to the condenser. The copper looked almost like swiss cheese with little holes in it or something.

multisync
27-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Had some German 3/8 copper once which must have picked up something when it was being extruded as it had a scrach line inside about 10m and it holed almost all the way along. Had to cut it out and fit new.

Frikkie
27-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Electrolysis can cause pin holes in copper pipe after only one year. Check the electrical supply earth is properly connected to the inside and outside unit. Also check the supply earth is good.

majo
29-08-2009, 10:37 AM
earth connection is fine!

chemi-cool
29-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Copper tubes are not what they used to be a few years back.

worked on a Dorin condensing unit early this week and noticed the that the copper tubes they have used some 20 years ago are almost double thickness as those we use today.

I know that good quality copper tubes are coming from 3 sources: Brazil, Canada and Greece.

I advice you to weigh the cooper you by and compare the weight per meter to a copper weight chart, you just might be surprised.....

majo
29-08-2009, 03:35 PM
well indeed, when I look at the pieces daikin supplies with an RZQ for example it seems to be MUCH thicker indeed!

But the copper I've used isn't much thicker/thinner than an Inoac pair of tubes, Inoac seems to be made in Taiwan!

Which brand of copper do you guys use?