PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Problems URGENT

Northdude
27-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I have just replaced a small tecumseh compressor on an upright fridge but problem is that every time i switch it on the capacitor blows up in my face, its 240 v compressor (checked my supply live, neutral and both fine), i have my live in going to the overload (top pin) and on the bottom 2 pins is a relay, i have my capacitor going across the 2 terminals on the relay and my neutral going to the left side of the relay, is it just a case of me having my NEUTRAL on the left instead of the right? Or is it a compressor problem? I have changed quite a few of this type and had it in my head that the neutral goes on the left but not so sure now, first cappy blew so had a spare and that blew as well, comp ran for about a minute. Any help will be great, thanks

Northdude
27-08-2009, 03:18 PM
just managed to find a wiring diagram on the net and looks like its the neutral, oops wot a dumbass i am.

thebigcheese
27-08-2009, 04:20 PM
bet the bang was good for ur heart tho

Northdude
27-08-2009, 04:41 PM
haha the second one was even better, anyone else would learn off the first one, the cappy which was on it was rated 53 - 64 pf, been to the supplier and all they have is a 80 pf rated one, u think that will be ok?

thebigcheese
27-08-2009, 04:43 PM
yea should be fine. make sure the relay is ok and its not sticking on run

Northdude
27-08-2009, 04:54 PM
is there anyway to test it without actually trying it on the compressor? You think that could have been a factor in the cappy blowing?

Yuri B.
27-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Hello Northdude. If you only replaced the comp and all left the same, you need to ask the vendor of the comp about the comp's precise starting-working components. It seems relay does not disconnect for the minute the starting capacitor - which may only be under live for no more than few seconds . Thus the preceding comp's relay may be unsuitable (cap also, but ask the vendor)

thebigcheese
27-08-2009, 08:41 PM
mite be beter picking up a new set of elecs just in case, although if wired right it should go out on clixen before blowing comp. put your amp probe on and check amps it would be high amps for a few seconds
then you should see them drop away of
(this would be your relay switching.)

if it doesnt switch after a few seconds less than 10 i would say faulty relay or comp

thinktwice
29-08-2009, 06:44 AM
you can check the current relay by using a multi meter, just connect one probe to the run terminal of the current relay and the other to the flat terminal before it, then turn it upside down, there must be a contact or continuity at hat point (by the way set your VOM to R x 1 or 10). current relay should react and realeased in a split second after start-up of compressor, put your amps meter on the common wire and monitor the starting current, if it stay on a high on several seconds, surely caps will explode, check the wiring connection and maybe the system is overcharge, try to start it in a low level afterwards you slowly charge it until to the allowable.

Frikkie
03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
If you blew the capacitor into pieces it is possible you have damaged the relay internal contacts. You might not see this with a multitester but it could make hot contacts when under load and low voltage at the compressor pins.
I would replace the starting relay to be safe.

coolhibby1875
05-09-2009, 07:38 PM
really worrying

Northdude
07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
thanks for the advice but the relay was fine, compressor ran ok, just me being stupid and wiring it wrong.

thebigcheese
17-09-2009, 12:38 PM
sure ul no how the next time lol