PDA

View Full Version : Fridge/freezer clicking and defrosting

drennan
22-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi. I bought a large second-hand Whirlpool fridge freezer last month and 2 days ago it started making a clicking noise about every 1 or 2 minutes. I then noticed yesterday that the freezer was defrosting. I read somewhere that it could be the relay but it said it should rattle if its gone. I'm looking for some advice on what it could be as i really wanna get it fixed. A new one of the same size is around £800.

Although it clicks every couple of minutes, it buzzes as normal. Its not like it clicks on then off. The clicks seem to be unrelated to the buzzing going on and off. Does this mean its the compressor? Its not working at all but there is power obviously and the lights are on etc. I've been told it will cost about £250 for the compressor to be fixed and it will need refilling with gas after. Is there anything else it could be with these symptoms? Could I buy a second hand compressor and just pay for the re-gas or is that a bad idea? Thanks in advance.

whiteair
23-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds like the clicking you hear is the Klixon or overload tripping, mounted on the compressor inside the plastic cover which holds the start relay. Something is causing the Klixon to trip, so check out the compresssor windings with a Megger or Multimeter first. Second hand compressors are a no no, gas issues, contamination, how do you know the secondhand comressor is ok anyway?

Good Luck, Al